Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Utah Rivers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Left Fork of Huntington Beta?

+3
Meeker
Cap'n RedBeard
Vertder Miff
7 posters

Go down

Left Fork of Huntington Beta? Empty Left Fork of Huntington Beta?

Post by Guest Mon 27 Jun 2011, 10:40 am

I drove up over skyline on June 17th and talked to a ranger who was fixing the access gate to the put in road. He told me he thought the road would be open in a couple of days and within a week max (he was about to drive the road and assess the conditions).

So it should be open by now. Has anyone run it yet this year? How was it? I am thinking about giving it a shot this weekend and any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brett

Back to top Go down

Left Fork of Huntington Beta? Empty Re: Left Fork of Huntington Beta?

Post by Vertder Miff Mon 27 Jun 2011, 11:05 am

I haven't run it this year. On my way back from Joe's Saturday, I did see that the road to Miller Flat was open. I'm planning on running LFH this weekend, also.
Vertder Miff
Vertder Miff

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'n RedBeard Mon 27 Jun 2011, 11:36 am

a boater from compton and his hood rats ran it saturday.
Cap'n RedBeard
Cap'n RedBeard

Paddling Since : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Meeker Mon 27 Jun 2011, 12:56 pm

Anybody able to do a weekday run. I'm new to the SLC area, and am usually more busy on the weekends, but am down during the week for the rest of the summer.

Meeker

Paddling Since : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'n RedBeard Mon 27 Jun 2011, 1:01 pm

Ill let you know if I'm "sick" and cant make it into work. PM me your number.
Cap'n RedBeard
Cap'n RedBeard

Paddling Since : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Compton Boater Mon 27 Jun 2011, 2:15 pm

Indeed, Compton area paddlers had a Left Hand Thugdown Session on Saturday. Best level any of us had seen it at before. Probably 150% of the standard flow it is done at, I have never seen a TR from this level. The rapids are juicy and there are some large holes to avoid at the bottom of slides but it maintained a Class IV+ feel in all the drops. We did not have to portage anything except 3 short log portages. It entailed intensive eddy hopping and scouting where it was necessary to have a Class V team. It is by no means the fun, relaxing Class IV-IV+ of Cottonwood at 1,000 or LFH at the usual flows. It was full Class V teamwork of eddy hopping to the lip, one person jumping out to scout and routing the crew through the rapid. If you do not have a team that is skilled and that you can trust, it could turn into an epic quickly. We were an experienced, efficient team and moved quick but it still took 5 hours to complete and was mentally and physically taxing. A swim at this level would be a very bad situation anywhere on the run. All in all, a definite notch up in intensity from the normal level, but a great adventure for a good team. Good training for wilderness class V rivers where you have to eddy hop as low as possible, jump out, scout real quick and keep moving. We may not see it at this level again for a decade. Definitely one of the best days I have ever had on the river in Utah. If you have a solid team, you will absolutely love it, if you have a bunch of class IV boaters it will be a long, dangerous day. It may drop back down as well, which makes it much less intensive, I have no idea how to check. And as always, remember the golden rule of creeking: Always bring your throwbag with you, every time you scout.

Last edited by Compton Boater on Mon 27 Jun 2011, 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Cause I'm a thug bitches!)

Compton Boater

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Jun 2011, 2:36 pm

Awesome. Great info. Thank you very much.

Brett

Back to top Go down

Post by brightonb Mon 27 Jun 2011, 3:37 pm

Good info to have, thanks. Reminds me of doing the full Huntington. 12 miles of great creek but more wood to stress about.

brightonb

Back to top Go down

Left Fork of Huntington Beta? Empty flow info

Post by Randolph Mon 27 Jun 2011, 5:43 pm

Here is a link to the emery water website that monitors outflows of the reservoirs that feed the creek:

http://ewcd.org/reservoirs/upper-huntington-drainage-reservoirs/

According to the graphs from Saturday, Miller was releasing approx 60cfs, Cleveland was releasing approx 60cfs and Rolfson was releasing approx 60cfs. There are two streams (Lake Canyon and Staker Canyon) that come into the Left Fork above the outflow from Miller (which is where we put in) that must add some flow because it felt like more than 180cfs once we were past the confluence. Maybe not though, I'm a lousy judge of water levels...

-Randolph

Randolph

Paddling Since : 1990

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill Mon 27 Jun 2011, 7:46 pm

Hi Randolph- I think it would be more than 180, you need to add Huntington Res as well, to estimate the upper flows in LFH.
Here is the Huntington Drainage Teacups, which has the Main Huntington below the power plant as well:
http://ewcd.org/canals/huntington-drainage-teacups/

At the moment, Miller + Rolfson + Huntington + Cleveland is ~205. I am not familiar with Lake Canyon and Staker Canyon, but I do see a couple creeks on Google Maps that come in above Miller, in addition to the reservoirs. Maybe another 75? Then some more tribs along the way; something like 280-300 in the upper half, to 400 cfs near the bottom of LFH I would guess.
Main Huntington flows:
The confluence with Main Huntington adds the Electric Lake outflow, which was 170 this weekend; now its dropped to 115 for some reason (plus little tribs coming into the Main below Electric Lake). So that puts 570-600 in the Main Huntington, Top Slides section; then 9 miles downstream at the power plant gauge (adding little tribs along the way; every creek is going), was 700-740 yesterday. (I'm ignoring the power plant diversion, which totals around 17 cfs).

Also, there is a riverwide log on LFH just above the confluence with Main Huntington. If that log was pulled out or portaged, then it could be possible to run from LFH into the Main Huntington-"Top Slides" section (1.5 miles with some exciting IV+ slides; scout your takeout eddy).

Last edited by wasatchbill on Mon 27 Jun 2011, 10:11 pm; edited 2 times in total

wasatchbill

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Jun 2011, 7:49 pm

To get the flow use this page.
http://ewcd.org/reservoirs/upper-huntington-drainage-teacups/
Subtract Electric lake from huntington powerplant to get the best rough guess(what flow rate in most descriptions is based on). So today it is roughly 500.

Nice TR BTW.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down