Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Utah Rivers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Virgin Narrows

4 posters

Go down

Virgin Narrows Empty Virgin Narrows

Post by bgottagoski Tue 07 Jun 2011, 10:10 am

Is anyone interested in running the Virgin Narrows? I have a very flexible schedule and would love to get down there while there is water. If interested reply or call. Bryan 435-655-1657

bgottagoski

Paddling Since : 1997

Back to top Go down

Virgin Narrows Empty Re: Virgin Narrows

Post by kristie Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:34 pm

That's been on my list for a while, but I haven't done it before. Have you? I heard you have to put on at like 6 a.m. if you want there to be water on the top half. I could do any Monday/Tuesday and definitely can't do Friday/Saturdays, but let me know when you're going and I'll try to call off work or something. 801-910-6948

kristie

Paddling Since : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by brightonb Tue 07 Jun 2011, 9:01 pm

I really want to do this as well. I could do next Sunday or Monday if the flows cooperate.
Brighton
8o168o2six56

brightonb

Back to top Go down

Post by bgottagoski Wed 08 Jun 2011, 12:11 am

Hi Brightonb

Lets watch the flows and see if it is possible. It has to stay below six hundred for 24 hrs before they will issue a permit. Right now it seems to be bumping up to around 700 at night and then coming down to around five twenty during the day.

Also, I think I may have paddled with you up on the Murtaugh a couple of years ago. I went to Boise to buy a creek boat and then met up with you and a friend the next morning. I hope you are doing well.

Have a great one,

Bryan

bgottagoski

Paddling Since : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by bencpeters Wed 08 Jun 2011, 11:13 am

I could be down for Sunday on the narrows... unless boxes/murtaugh happens this weekend

bencpeters

Paddling Since : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by brightonb Wed 08 Jun 2011, 12:20 pm

how about a Virgin narrows and Boxes weekend?
two of the most outrageously cool desert river gorges anywhere

brightonb

Back to top Go down

Post by kristie Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:51 pm

i have the next 3 days off, did you guys ever go? it's down to 340 now, is that almost too low?

kristie

Back to top Go down

Post by bencpeters Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:55 pm

yes (we went yesterday) and yes 340 is pretty low. That being said, you want to look at the peak flow values, because if you do it right, you'll put on right you put on real early in the morning and get the higher flows (the way that river works, peaks are in the morning and the flow drops off throughout the day). but if you look at the history plot, we had about 450 yesterday when we put on and that was definitely on the low side until the deep creek confluence. I wouldn't want to go with much less (read: any less) water than we had...

bencpeters

Back to top Go down

Post by kristie Mon 13 Jun 2011, 8:33 pm

Was there a lot of wood?

kristie

Back to top Go down

Post by bencpeters Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:32 pm

not bad. we portaged 9 (?) times before the confluence, and had a couple "almost" portages (a bit more water... or a bit less willingness to get up close and personal with logs in relatively mellow water).

Fairly quickly into the run there is a barbed wire fence across the river, which you obviously portage. Less obvious is that just a little bit further down there is a drop where the river kinda cuts off toward the left, and there is some woody debris... about halfway through this is a chest height metal cable strong across the river that made for some excitement. It's pretty hard to see from above.

bencpeters

Back to top Go down

Post by brightonb Mon 13 Jun 2011, 11:37 pm

I have to add a little excitement to Ben's report. Several in the group agree that this is one of the most amazing runs we have ever done. Easily. The non stop walls through much of the run are nothing short of mind blowing. The upper six miles were very bony, but for the first time in my life, I didn't mind that. Unlike the common perception, there was no hiking. Even though the latter half of the run doesn't have singularly tough rapids, only solid class 4 boaters should be in there. Lots can go wrong quickly. I took a bow to the crowds at the very end of the run after an outstanding hole ride. My boat decided to keep on putting on a show after I chose to opt out after several solo recirculations. I still was all smiles after such a great day.

brightonb

Back to top Go down

Post by kristie Tue 14 Jun 2011, 4:28 am

sounds awesome! If anyone is ever down for a midweek trip, I would LOVE to go.

kristie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down