Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Utah Rivers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Morgan Whitewater Park/Features

+6
Jeff Young
chaddychad
brianteats
Ron
AndrewPhillips
Alan Clark
10 posters

Go down

Morgan Whitewater Park/Features Empty Morgan Whitewater Park/Features

Post by Alan Clark Tue 22 Mar 2011, 8:26 am

I have had numerous conversations over the last year with the Mayor of Morgan City, City Council Members, County Council Members, Nick Turner and locals in and around Morgan. The conversation has been one of fixing three dangerous drops on the Weber River and in turn, replacing them with kayak features, irrigation dams and hydroelectric producing features.

The response from all whom I have spoken with has been very positive and progress, all be it slow, is moving forward. What we have talked about is turning Como Springs drop into a wave, making the fairgounds waterfall a clean 8-10 footer and the drop by high school a rodeo hole. The play features would maintain irrigation height requirements and also produce power for Morgan City.

Why am I posting this you ask? I need help from the kayaking community. I have spoken how often people from the Wasatch Front already come to the Weber River to run Hen-Tag and that if a play park was in, well I'm sure you would come there too. The section of river the park would be on has an average flow between March and November of 400-500 CFS. This year the section had 375 cfs since mid January. imagine hitting up Snowbasin in the morning and playboating in the afternoon.

If you would like to make your voice heard, please email Mayor Egbert and Councilwoman Betz and let them know you would like to see kayak features in Morgan.

morgancity@qwestoffice.net

Alan Clark

Back to top Go down

Morgan Whitewater Park/Features Empty Re: Morgan Whitewater Park/Features

Post by AndrewPhillips Tue 22 Mar 2011, 9:48 am

Alan I grew up in Morgan and would love to help you on this project anyway I can. 801-458-3520

AndrewPhillips

Paddling Since : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Tue 22 Mar 2011, 9:56 am

Put my 2 bits in. I'd drive up from Richfield to boat it often. Ron.

Ron

Paddling Since : 1970

Back to top Go down

Post by brianteats Tue 22 Mar 2011, 12:32 pm

My opinions?
Leave the high school drop alone, that's a shuttle commitment, there(few might float down/waste of resources). The first two diversions are close enough for a 'park and play' experience, though.
There's enough vertical at each diversion to get two good features(remember the main RW is only like 3 feet of vertical). A clean 8-10 footer? I don't see the thrill after the first couple times.
Access to the first diversion is fenced off right now. I assume easements, or something, is in the works?
I say keep the ball rolling on Morgan Playparks, should be awesome!
brianteats
brianteats

Paddling Since : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Clark Tue 22 Mar 2011, 7:13 pm

Ya Brian, right now it's definately in its infancy and Nick really hasn't been hired to do anything definate. I know most of the momentum the city has is being able to produce power and also quit fixing the dams. The kayaking is a by product yet a significant boost to the Morgan economy.

Their is talk of extending the pathway from the high school up to the fairgrounds so one could essentially walk, bike or drive the shuttle. Also, there is parking near the high school, so that could potentially be its own park and play.

Thanks all for sending your thoughts to the city and keep them coming. In time, I'm hoping to make a strong showing of support from the kayaking community by getting as many people to a council meeting in the future. I'll buy pizza, beer and sodas if people can make it up....

Alan Clark

Back to top Go down

Post by chaddychad Tue 22 Mar 2011, 11:12 pm

Alan,

I grew up in Morgan and know the Mayor and Councilwoman Betz. I currently work in Morgan and attend chamber and city council meetings sometimes. It's funny, because my brother and I have talked about doing this exact idea, in the exact locations but didn't know how to get started. I would like to speak with you about the process and how I can help. I will speak with the mayor and councilwoman personally.

chaddychad

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Clark Wed 23 Mar 2011, 7:41 am

cool Chad, anytime 801-920-3303...

Alan Clark

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Clark Tue 29 Mar 2011, 6:59 am

Hey Andrew, emailed Nick, his company is pretty busy but says he is willing to take it on....going to get you a sketch, layout when I can to get to the hydro guy. Once we have a sketch and some estimates from hydro, we can go to the city and county.

Alan Clark

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young Tue 29 Mar 2011, 4:33 pm

Strong work!
Jeff Young
Jeff Young

Back to top Go down

Post by AndrewPhillips Wed 30 Mar 2011, 12:52 am

Thats awesome Alan let me know when you've got them. I spoke with the hydro guy again and it looks like he will help us get some numbers without having to pay up front

AndrewPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Clark Wed 30 Mar 2011, 7:19 am

ok first hiccup, the studies are going to cost some coin.....I'm going to try to meet with Nick on Friday and see what we can do about it...

Alan Clark

Back to top Go down

Post by unattendedboat Thu 31 Mar 2011, 12:33 am

it sounds like you have support from the community, but when it comes time to cash it in people are going to disappear. realistically your gonna need to do a feasibility study most likely in the 10,000 dollar range if not more for such a large project...well projects. Once that's cleared through its getting more money to actually build the stinkin thing. There are literally tens of thousands of grants that can be taken advantage of. the problem is getting to them, so plan on one hell of a grant writer. pretty much as long as you have the $$$ to back up your plans, thats when people will really take you serious.
unattendedboat
unattendedboat

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Clark Thu 31 Mar 2011, 7:07 am

those are the numbers I have heard of from Nick. We are hoping to get money from Morgan City Power and the irrigation companies....anyone have a rich uncle???

Alan Clark

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Clark Fri 01 Apr 2011, 10:24 am

does anyone have experience writing grants and finding money? Need to get some money together to start this Morgan kayak park.

Think about this, the first creeker/waterfall feature in a playpark.....a clean 8 footer would not only allow you to learn how to boof, but how to wavewheel off waterfalls, etc.... plus two more waves/holes all within 1/2 mile of each other....These features would run from march to november historically.

Alan Clark

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Apr 2011, 8:33 am

So , this park is based on similar flows to the weeb. As good as Riverdale is, it would be so nice to have a consistent, less seasonal, feature or three.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgM1qNYMrRs&feature=player_embedded

Back to top Go down

Post by AndrewPhillips Thu 07 Apr 2011, 4:44 pm

That is a perfect vision of what we should do on the Weeb! I have talked more with the hydro power guy and it's not looking like incorporating hydro power is going to work very well with a kayak park. Might be better to seperate the two or just convince Morgan City of just doing the kayak park alone which really shouldn't be hard to do if we can find a way to get the $$$

AndrewPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post by Wassermann Thu 07 Apr 2011, 11:00 pm

Has anybody contacted American Whitewater or ACA and talked to their people that deal with access and funding? They might know where and how to come up with funding for at least the studies...ten large is a hefty sum. But then, how much did the SNF Whitewater Film Fest used to take in annually? If 100 of Utah's boaters were able to kick in $100 each, that would be a start...I'd do it.
Wassermann
Wassermann

Paddling Since : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by littledawna Fri 05 Jul 2013, 4:48 pm

I want to help move this project along.  In speaking with my uncle Ray Little, who is on the Morgan City Council, he said that the city is pretty much in support of the idea.  In his mind, the first thing is to get needed permits from the Corps of Engineers and possibly from the Fish and Wildlife Dept.  He also suggested looking for grant money.  Then presenting to the city council.  So I don't think it's so much getting our voices heard, but just getting the plans and $$ together.
So first question.  Has anybody approached the Corps of Engineers to see what we need to do to get a permit?  If not, I could start looking into that.  Also, does anybody know what organizations may have grant money available?  If I know where to ask, I would be happy to start drafting some grant requests.
I live in Morgan and paddle my duckie on the Weber often.  I'm not a hard shell kayaker (yet), but I do think that the whole community will benefit from building a wave park.

littledawna

Paddling Since : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by littledawna Fri 05 Jul 2013, 5:05 pm

I've got a message in to Scott Walker at the DNR to get information from him on if we need a permit from them and if they may have funding available for habitat development.  I hope to talk to him next week.  Let me know if anyone else has any insight on this topic.

littledawna

Back to top Go down

Post by littledawna Fri 05 Jul 2013, 5:30 pm

In general, it looks like this project could fit into the requirements of the George S. and Dolores Dore Eccles Foundation for grant money applications.  But we need to get farther down the planning path before submitting an application.
http://www.gsecclesfoundation.org/grantseekers/procedures.html

littledawna

Back to top Go down

Morgan Whitewater Park/Features Empty Join our local Morgan County Whitewater Park Steering Committeeoun

Post by littledawna Thu 15 Aug 2013, 5:21 pm

We need to create a local steering committee.  Please let me know if you live in Morgan county and are interested in joining me to create a Morgan County Whitewater Park Steering Committee, or if you know anyone who would be interested.  When our local government sees that there is a lot of support from the community, then they will be more likely to get on board.

I've been in contact with Crystal Young at RiverRestoration.org.  They have put together a concept plan of making some changes to the Como Springs and Fairgrounds diversion dams area.  This is in the Morgan County Council's realm.

My own personal vision is to also make changes to the high school falls (how cool would it be if the school had some paddling classes) and at the city park, as well as extending the Mickelson Mile foot path to the Fairgrounds, including a bridge.  RiverRestoration.org is willing and interested to put together a concept plan for the "High School/City Park Stretch".  This is in the Morgan City Council's realm.

littledawna

Back to top Go down

Post by npackham Fri 16 Aug 2013, 1:21 pm

John Daniels did some work on a Morgan park design and showed it to some people in Morgan about ten years ago but it didn't get off the ground.  For whomever is working on this now, it might be interesting to see if he still has some of his ideas on paper.  His email address used to be amj_red@xmission.com - not sure if it still is.

npackham

Back to top Go down

Post by littledawna Fri 16 Aug 2013, 3:40 pm

Thanks for the info npackham!  I just sent an email to that address.  Hopefully John will get it and reply with interest.

littledawna

Back to top Go down

Post by littledawna Fri 16 Aug 2013, 3:41 pm

Anyone interested in joining the community steering committee and coming to Morgan City and County Council meetings to show your support for the development of a whitewater park, please join our group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/202802643219744/

littledawna

Back to top Go down

Post by littledawna Mon 14 Oct 2013, 6:33 pm

We are on the schedule to present to the Morgan C.O.G. group (Council of Governments) on Monday, 10/21 at 4:00. Please come, hear the ideas of RiverRestoration.org, and show your support. 
It will be at 4:00 on Monday 10/21 in the City Council Room at Morgan City Hall, 90 W Young Street.
Please share this with friends and neighbors who may be interested in any aspect of the project, such as the extension of the Mickelson Mile, fish passage and habitat development, whitewater feature development (tubing, rafting, kayaking, paddle boarding), etc.

We are not calling it a whitewater park or wave park, but instead we are calling it a River Restoration project.  This is in part, to help qualify the project for potential funding from government and non-profit groups such as DNR and Trout Unlimited.

Become a member of our group on Facebook, so you can stay up-to date on developments, in case I forget to update on this forum.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/202802643219744/

littledawna

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down