Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Utah Rivers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Malad 1,600 CFS Lets rally up Saturday run a bunch of laps.

4 posters

Go down

Malad 1,600 CFS Lets rally up Saturday run a bunch of laps.  Empty Malad 1,600 CFS Lets rally up Saturday run a bunch of laps.

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Wed 17 Oct 2012, 8:57 pm

The Malad River in Tuttle, Idaho is running at 1,600 cfs the last I heard. This is a solid Class IV run, and without Class IV experience it will be a hard day. With that being said it is super fun, and there is an upper section that is supposed to be a lot easier. Here is a video of that run at 1,200 cfs I believe https://vimeo.com/35867992
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Paddling Since : 2009

Back to top Go down

Malad 1,600 CFS Lets rally up Saturday run a bunch of laps.  Empty Re: Malad 1,600 CFS Lets rally up Saturday run a bunch of laps.

Post by Displaced in the Desert Wed 17 Oct 2012, 10:33 pm

That's a long drive to be disapointed.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/id/nwis/uv/?site_no=13152500&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,00010

I'll call my friend Jim who lives in Hagerman and fishes the Snake there at the dam about every night. That's where the run is, right? The bridge in the vid looks like route 30.

He's a sturgeon addict, moved up there a few years ago just to fish for them.

Displaced in the Desert

Paddling Since : 1973

Back to top Go down

Malad 1,600 CFS Lets rally up Saturday run a bunch of laps.  Empty Re: Malad 1,600 CFS Lets rally up Saturday run a bunch of laps.

Post by wasatchbill Thu 18 Oct 2012, 7:19 am

http://www.idahopower.com/OurEnvironment/WaterInformation/StreamFlow/maps/streamFlowsDataTable.cfm?id=970896#Link2

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/574/#tab-map
I need to work on this map some more; that putin is for the upper mile above the dam, and the takeout is the takeout for below the dam.

wasatchbill

Back to top Go down

Post by Displaced in the Desert Thu 18 Oct 2012, 10:13 am

Such conflict in guages, huh. I tend to believe the Idaho Power guage is the relevent one, it's just upstream from the old bridge ruins. The USGS is above the park.

I'll be in class till 10:30, then I'll call some boots on the ground up there to get the skinney. If he's in town he'll drive up there for me, I'm sure.

That part of Idaho is where I renewed my thirst for whitewater. I was up fishing with Jim and went down from the dam to the Bliss grade bridge. I'm planning to take my scout troop there this comming spring to raft and fish.

The run in the video reminds me of the Indian River back home, non stop class 3/4 with nowhere to hide if you get in trouble. The Indian is the lead in to the Hudson River run. They had a death there this fall, end of September a woman fell out of a raft and drown.

If any of you fish, I have caught Sturgeon up to 6' just below the dam and Jim has caught them to 9' with estimated weight of 300lbs. If you've never caught a really big fish, that is one place to get it done.

Displaced in the Desert

Back to top Go down

Post by Meeker Thu 18 Oct 2012, 11:19 am

I might be interested. Looks like its dropping though.

Meeker

Paddling Since : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Displaced in the Desert Thu 18 Oct 2012, 2:33 pm

Jim said it looks like a lot of whitewater to him. More than he would want to mess with.

Jim was a jet boat pioneer and is an amazing oarsman in his drift boat, so I tend to believe him.

Displaced in the Desert

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Fri 19 Oct 2012, 3:14 pm

Well I am sure that it is not to much whitewater to handle. Anyway it is off. Deep Creek is the default now. Who wants to run it? Maybe tomorrow maybe sunday.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill Fri 19 Oct 2012, 4:37 pm

If I was headed up there I would look at the Malad; the upper mile is doable with much less water; should still be good. Scout the obvious crux above the dam, above the bridge.
FSM what have you heard is a minimum flow on the Idaho power gauge for the run below the dam?
Deep creek is running?

wasatchbill

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Fri 19 Oct 2012, 5:41 pm

Deep Creek is running. 2.35 ft. I will postpone my trip to Sunday if you want to carpool up. I would love to boat with you before the season is done.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Meeker Sat 20 Oct 2012, 1:00 am

I have an Idaho Falls buddy thats paddling deep creek tomorrow. He said he'd call me and let me know if it was worth the drive. He thought it would be the last weekend it'd be running.

Meeker

Paddling Since : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Sat 20 Oct 2012, 1:34 am

Yeah it seems like that is the case. I will be heading up sunday most likely. Hit me up if you want to go.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down