Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Utah Rivers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

malad @ 2000cfs

+3
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Dave
PeruH2o
7 posters

Go down

malad @ 2000cfs Empty malad @ 2000cfs

Post by PeruH2o Tue 24 Jan 2012, 9:03 pm

Anyone wants to head down to Idaho to run the malad? It's running at 2000cfs which almost never happens. I'm actually not sure if it will run until this weekend at that level, but I'm hoping it will.

It's short but fun class 4 with continuous rapids. I've never ran it but it sounds to me like its like the narrows before it gets scary (800cfs to 900fs). I would like to leave saturday morning and come back sunday, but if people rather go and come back the same day I'm game.

PeruH2o

Back to top Go down

malad @ 2000cfs Empty Re: malad @ 2000cfs

Post by Dave Wed 25 Jan 2012, 1:52 am

Thinking about it. I just haven't boated in two months, man. If I could find somewhere to do some warming up, that would help things. I might head to green river wave park this week. If so, I would b down.

Also... if we stayed over-night, where were you thinking of staying?

Dave

Paddling Since : 09

Back to top Go down

Post by PeruH2o Wed 25 Jan 2012, 8:52 pm

I don't know. Camping, or if we are not a big group probably someones house, etc.

PeruH2o

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Thu 26 Jan 2012, 8:38 pm

Was hoping to warm up at green river wavepark tomorrow, but just found out I have to head to slc. No So, without a warm up, I'm not sure how much use I'd be on something like the narrows. I really wish I could go. Thanks for the invite. Hope ya find someone.

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Thu 26 Jan 2012, 10:11 pm

Hey Dave you could easily warm up on the Bliss Wave. Plus I will be driving so gas would be split three ways. If you have the time to go you should come up, warm up on the bliss wave, and then run Malad with us. I think I would prefer to drive back saturday night because I am trying to get settled into a new place, and finishing hand paddle orders. Dave if you head up you can test out some hand paddles on the bliss wave. It should be a great time. I can fit four people in my truck more if we don't take play boats, and river runners, but four is best. AJ you should come I am surprised you are not all over this trip.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Paddling Since : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:13 am

FYI Green River playpark is frozen solid.
Jeff Young
Jeff Young

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill Fri 27 Jan 2012, 10:39 pm

FYI Red Rocks near Las Vegas is ~70 F, uncomfortably warm to climb in the sun; we have been climbing in the shade!

wasatchbill

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sat 28 Jan 2012, 2:14 am

FSM/Christian, I'm stuck playing sheuffer till noon tomorrow. Have fun without me. Sorry.

FSM I've never seen the Bliss Wave. Is there eddy service? If so, I wouldn't mind heading up there next week... weather Malad's running or not.

If Malad IS running, I will commit now... to a Bliss-Maldad day on Sat, if anyone's willing.

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Sun 29 Jan 2012, 3:38 pm

I have never seen bliss wave. Malad was the bomb. Warm water, Idaho, and great people what more could you ask for.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill Mon 30 Jan 2012, 2:18 pm

Which gauge is the best? USGS 13152500 MALAD RIVER NR GOODING ID? The one on Eddyflower doesn't look right. Guess the flow is back down.
Did you guys end at the Snake?

wasatchbill

Back to top Go down

Post by PeruH2o Mon 30 Jan 2012, 7:41 pm

PeruH2o

Back to top Go down

Post by Wil Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:03 am

How would you guys compare Malad to Murtaugh? Looking at FSM's hand paddle video, it doesn't look too bad, but to me it seems like videos tend to make rapids and features look easier than they really are.

I have only done Murtaugh at 4000, but would love to get some more somewhat local runs to do later this year.

Wil

Paddling Since : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by PeruH2o Tue 31 Jan 2012, 4:59 pm

Hi Wil,

I think if you felt fine running the Murtaugh at that level, you should be ok running the malad. The day FSM and I ran it, it was about 1300cfs. It has a different character than the Murtaugh. The latter is pool-drop in a canyon, whereas the Lower Malad is a short but continuous section. The biggest rapid is right at the put in and the rest are train waves with a couple of big hits, but I think the murtaugh at 4000cfs has bigger waves. I think the coolest thing about the run are all the eddies you can catch in the middle of the rapids and that it had no flat water. The lower malad only runs at these levels for very short windows every year. However, there is a big 20 year maintenance schedule for next year and rumor has it that the malad will run for at least a month then. But for now, it may still be running next weekend.

I have posted a description of the run as well as other info in the "trip reports" section of this forum.

PeruH2o

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Tue 31 Jan 2012, 11:17 pm

I agree with Christian (PeruH2O) The Murtaugh is different. Bigger water, that is pool drop so a swim could be over quick, but very cold. The Malad is shallow, and hard to get out in a swim, but warmer water. I think it is kinda like the Ogden Narrows at 700 or so, with more moves. Overall I would say it is a fun class IV, with Class IV+ swim consequences. If you want to head up let me know I may be heading up this weekend. What runs have you ran, and what levels were they? If you do good you should try to hand paddle it.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by mathaeth Wed 01 Feb 2012, 12:34 am

Whatever estimated prison multiplies next to a warehouse. A verbose console abides before the substitute. The smooth sheep transmits latest news breaking news against any raving purge. The tour distresses latest news breaking news throughout the suffix. Across the dead crashes a companion. A cleared holy banks the academic in her nine opposite.

mathaeth

Paddling Since : 1234

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill Wed 01 Feb 2012, 1:21 am

mathaeth wrote:Whatever estimated prison multiplies next to a warehouse. A verbose console abides before the substitute. The smooth sheep transmits latest news breaking news against any raving purge. The tour distresses latest news breaking news throughout the suffix. Across the dead crashes a companion. A cleared holy banks the academic in her nine opposite.

I am curious if this type of bot post was a failed attempt to post malicious code onto this web server, or what (successful attempt?). No malicious link to click on this time...

===
Say Wil, it looks like this section starts out with some big hits, I'd expect IV+, from the run comparisons mentioned. Would be good to have some footage from the bank.

wasatchbill

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Thu 02 Feb 2012, 3:01 am

FSM, if it keeps dropping as it has been, it should be about 1140 by saturday. If you decide to head up, let me know... and grab some extra hand paddles while you're at it Smile ... 435 232 five three eight three.

UPDATE: I can go friday or sat, if anyone's interested.

Thanks,
-Dave

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down