Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Utah Rivers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Information about the Price

+7
Vertder Miff
TennesseeJed
wasatchbill
Cap'n RedBeard
afaust
RTR
PeruH2o
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Information about the Price Empty Information about the Price

Post by PeruH2o Sun 22 May 2011, 12:34 pm

Hi all,

I was driving south to do some hiking yesterday when I saw a lot of whitewater. That was around 1 or 2 miles north of Helper, Ut driving on Hwy 6. I just know the river is the Price. I went to AW but they don't have much information except that one stretch is rated 3-5 and it is 8.5 miles long.

Does anybody know how many rapids are in this run? How many of those are class 3, 4 or 5? Are the class 5 easy to portage? How is the water quality? Aw also says that

"The major dangers on the Price are the possibilities of strainers, human debris (rebar), and some dams near the end of the run."

Are all of these bad things only at the end?

Thanks a lot,
Christian

PeruH2o

Back to top Go down

Information about the Price Empty Re: Information about the Price

Post by RTR Sun 22 May 2011, 1:56 pm

I, too, was driving south on SR-6 yesterday and noticed a bit of water down it. I used to make this drive quite a bit a couple summers ago. Summertime, the Price is just bony. I don't seem to remember a lot of rebar other than the manmade drops at the bottom, right before helper. I wouldn't discount the possibility of residual man-made junk from the railroad, though. I seem to remember one spot where it reaches its steepest point, which probably goes at 4+ with the rest of it being continous class III and IV. I've been wanting to run this for years, despite the fact that it doesn't seem to be that popular. Let me know when you do.

Mike
Two-zero-eight-369-zero-seven-nine-one
RTR
RTR

Paddling Since : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by afaust Sun 22 May 2011, 10:53 pm

I am also interested in heading down. Saw some fun looking white water on my last drive through there. 801,623,8726

afaust

Paddling Since : 1492

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'n RedBeard Mon 23 May 2011, 12:10 am

Its a really fun run, despite the crap in the river. One rapid you might want to scout if you have never been. Watch out for logs.

Give me a call. Ill go.
Cap'n RedBeard
Cap'n RedBeard

Paddling Since : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 May 2011, 12:54 am

It's stupid clean fun at all flows. Drop a car and do the out the window scout for wood. When it is big, enjoy the grand roller coasters only available in disneyland. Be sure to watch the river as the scenery is kinda ghetto. Also, be sure to splat the semi door on the way through. There is one 4/4+ drop worth taking a look at near the end. If you get stopped by the hole you are likely to get punched in the face by rocks and possibly destroy your favorite pair of reading glasses.

Last edited by c-dub on Mon 23 May 2011, 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill Mon 23 May 2011, 1:06 am

Here is a good Price Canyon run description;
http://eddyflower.com/RunDetailstabs.aspx?RunId=846#/home
Those last few miles get progressively harder, which is a kinda nice progression; if I recall correctly that last crux is about .7 miles up from the takeout.
Could use binocs for the road scout.

wasatchbill

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 May 2011, 1:10 am

Kinda tired of the multiple cruxes thing.
crux

   [kruhks] Information about the Price Dictionary_questionbutton_default Show IPA
–noun, plural crux·es, cru·ces  [kroo-seez] Information about the Price Dictionary_questionbutton_default Show IPA. 1. a vital, basic, decisive, or pivotal point: The crux of the trial was his whereabouts at the time of the murder.

2. a cross.

3. something that torments by its puzzling nature; a perplexing difficulty.

There is no plural.

Back to top Go down

Post by TennesseeJed Mon 23 May 2011, 3:06 am

Can i come? How about Wed/Thursday evening, anyone interested?
TennesseeJed
TennesseeJed

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill Mon 23 May 2011, 9:55 am

c-dub wrote:
–noun, plural crux·es ...
Smile
Although I did not mean to imply there is more than one on the Price...

wasatchbill

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 May 2011, 10:50 am

Didn't mean to be negative either. It just reminded me of the three cruxes in the pineview run. Gets very confusing when there are three pivotal points. In the river running contex, it has always been the trickiest/hardest part. IE booboo etc.

Cheers Bill alien

Back to top Go down

Post by Vertder Miff Mon 23 May 2011, 10:57 am

TennesseeJed wrote:Can i come? How about Wed/Thursday evening, anyone interested?

I could go Thursday.
Vertder Miff
Vertder Miff

Back to top Go down

Post by afaust Mon 23 May 2011, 12:36 pm

I could go wednesday evening or Thursday morning/afternoon. Or Saturday for that matter.

afaust

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young Mon 23 May 2011, 12:54 pm

Only two in pineview Smile hahhaha thats funny
Jeff Young
Jeff Young

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'n RedBeard Mon 23 May 2011, 1:53 pm

i thought the crux for pineview was called the narrows Wink
Cap'n RedBeard
Cap'n RedBeard

Back to top Go down

Post by brianteats Mon 23 May 2011, 2:17 pm

The crux of pineview is the put-in...Seriously, if you can put in without gauging your boat on the rocks, you're a super-star-expert.
Apologies for contributing to the thread off-topic-ness; love the run, hate the put-in.
brianteats
brianteats

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill Mon 23 May 2011, 7:11 pm

Need to salvage another 2x12 from the river driftwood, and make a launch ramp there!
If you did Pineview and tried to take out at the green bridge, then the takeout could be the "consequence crux" (as opposed to the technical crux below the Alaskan Inn, or the endurance crux... oops, sorry, I was talking "climber-speak" there for a minute :-)

wasatchbill

Back to top Go down

Post by PeruH2o Tue 24 May 2011, 1:17 am

Cool. Thanks all for the posts! It seems like we have a fairly good group of people that are interested. I can also go Thursday evening. I'm not familiar with this run so don't ask me if you can come. Come! but it is up to you not to swim. If you swim and you survive the swim, know that I will be expecting at least a booty beer from you. Haha. Very Happy

Chris, can we meet at your place on thursday? I live in an apartment complex and there isn't a lot of room to park on the street. How does 4:30 work for everyone? We can also meet somewhere else if there are good suggestions.

PeruH2o

Back to top Go down

Post by PeruH2o Tue 24 May 2011, 1:51 am

Actually, I don't know if we will have enough time if we meet in SLC at 4.30pm. Google maps says it is a 2hr drive to Helper. It's probably also a good idea to do some scouting once we are there. I will let you guys decide. I can't any other day this week. We can try next week too.

PeruH2o

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill Tue 24 May 2011, 2:09 am

Have you done BV yet Christian? 4:30 PM start from SLC sounds more like a couple BV laps @1400.
Google maps does say ~2 hours from SLC to the Price canyon takeout. Here is the putin and takeout:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=217121158451122519685.000485e6cf33b13addb32&ll=39.786906,-110.914364&spn=0.080729,0.141106&z=13

wasatchbill

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Tue 24 May 2011, 2:53 am

Not like I care, but there could be more than one crux in a run if the so called cruxes were equal in hazard, and difficulty, but I see your point C-Dub.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Paddling Since : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 May 2011, 9:33 am

got it. I will rethink cruxes and add a few to my favorite runs.

Back to top Go down

Post by TennesseeJed Tue 24 May 2011, 11:25 am

Hey all,

We should rally to meet at the gas station on Hwy 6 before you enter Spanish Fork canyon, there between 5-5:15. It is nice to meet south of all of the traffic. If anyone can carpool down that would work, but I dont mind driving separately as we will need at least 2 cars. I will say Google Maps drives the Speed Limit~ the driving through Provo is cookin' if there isn't any traffic

Contruction and rush hour willing (helps to be south of SLC by 4:15ish and miss the Provo rush too) we could leave that gas station and be at the putin to drop boats/cars between 6-6:15. On the river by 7:00 at the latest and we should have at least 2 hours of daylight.

Should be good fun, and of course it is roadside almost all of the way if we run out of light, paddles, or boats on the river What a Face

Graham
TennesseeJed
TennesseeJed

Back to top Go down

Post by afaust Tue 24 May 2011, 5:02 pm

Schedule conflict...

http://www.utrivers.com/t529-862nd-semi-annual-btothe8thpower-on-bv-on-thursday#2687

Truth is I will probably have to work anyway and miss both of these sweet boating events... Crying or Very sad

afaust

Back to top Go down

Post by Vertder Miff Tue 24 May 2011, 6:02 pm

PeruH2o wrote:Chris, can we meet at your place on thursday? I live in an apartment complex and there isn't a lot of room to park on the street. How does 4:30 work for everyone? We can also meet somewhere else if there are good suggestions.

I'm sorry, but my outlook for the week has changed and I won't be able to do any kayaking during the week. Looking forward to the weekend, though. Have fun on the Price if you guys make it down there, though.
Vertder Miff
Vertder Miff

Back to top Go down

Post by PeruH2o Tue 24 May 2011, 6:31 pm

Sorry, I have to bail as well. I forgot I have a meeting at work tomorrow. I won't be able to leave early as I originally thought. I could do something closer instead. I'm free next week.

PeruH2o

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next