Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Utah Rivers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Riverdale wave front surf?? new Ogden wave??

Go down

Riverdale wave front surf?? new Ogden wave?? Empty Riverdale wave front surf?? new Ogden wave??

Took a look at Riverdale wave; was surprised to see someone surfing the second wave, in a longer boat. Noticed that they flipped, missed a roll, took awhile to set up; no worries, seems plenty deep behind that second wave @670. So this is probably the best intermediate front surf in the Ogden area (Croyden-like); since OPP first hole is trashy, second wave is decent, fun, but not really a front surf, more like side/front surf, and the 3rd hole is way trashy.
Crystals new wave on the Ogden is another nice change of scenery from OPP; your parked car feels safe for a change (park at Walmart off Wall, after 5 PM since they are still working on it). The wave is tiny right now, but front surfable, some nice stern squirts to be had; with views of Mt Ogden/Mt Allen from your boat.

Crystals wave would be a great place for beginners to get on the river and try some eddy turns; its way less intimidating than OPP right now. In particular, the gnarly 3rd drop at OPP is not ideal for beginners, in a boat, or swimming; and swimming through the shallow 2nd drop is not an ideal beginner experience either.
wasatchbill

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Riverdale wave front surf?? new Ogden wave?? :: Comments

Augie

Post Fri 05 Aug 2011, 11:39 am by Augie

Thanks for the info Bill, especially the Crystal wave-Is that what we will call it?

As far as the first hole at OPP being trashy-I have to disagree. It is giving some great rides @600cfs and I think it got a little better recently @ 700cfs. Of course it probably isn't a beginner wave but anyone with intermediate skill can jump in. I have not found it to be retentive at all, and with the higher flows there is less chance of hitting your paddle on the uptream ledge. I will be there this afternoon.

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 05 Aug 2011, 12:12 pm by wasatchbill

Good point Augie; for stronger intermediates, OPP first hole would be more interesting; spins, etc. I was last in there in a creeker, so I was remembering it as more trashy(sticky) than it is in a playboat or squirtboat. I've also been thinking about where to take a beginner/intermediate, without a river roll, so that was my train of thought.

Crystals wave, or Wally-World-Mart wave, take your pick Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 05 Aug 2011, 1:18 pm by Craig.Bilderback

I think opp is actually a little friendlier at 700 vs 600. Deeper, looks a little bigger, but has less cross currents especially in feature 1 where at 6 stuff is spilling in from several directions making the sides of the hole squirly. The 3rd feature looks a lot bigger, but is not scary rententive or anything.
My beginner girlfriend had fun lapping the features yesterday and I thought the surfing was prime.

Back to top Go down

Augie

Post Fri 05 Aug 2011, 2:26 pm by Augie

Personally I like the sounf of WallyWave for the new Ogden surf wave. Sounds non-threatening like the feature.

Back to top Go down

brianteats

Post Fri 05 Aug 2011, 3:19 pm by brianteats

I was actually thinking Wally Wave also. Wal-Mart and Wall Ave right there. It fits. I likely see myself simply refering to it as the 'Wal-Mart Wave' in the future, though.

And OPP is fun as hell right now. Nice big top wave for spins and such, second wave is...well...what it always is, and the now-higher third drop is fun; though I haven't built up enough courage to try surfing it, yet.

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 15 Aug 2011, 12:24 am by Guest

at what level does the crystal/wallywave come in at?

Back to top Go down

Jeff Young

Post Mon 15 Aug 2011, 7:11 am by Jeff Young

Crystals was designed as a low water feature and was "in" at ELF levels on the gauge. When it showed 20 cfs it was surfable although in reality there was more than 20 cfs due to water coming back in after the gauge location from the powerplant diversion.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down