Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Utah Rivers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Laps on Logan, Sun 7/24

4 posters

Go down

Laps on Logan, Sun 7/24 Empty Laps on Logan, Sun 7/24

Post by Guest Thu 21 Jul 2011, 9:44 am

Running either all or just parts of Logan, Sunday. Probably starting around 1pm-ish, finish about 5-6-ish. 3-4 People going so far. Come on people.... don't miss out... Cool Gonna be FUUUN! If you just wanna join in on certain sections... great!! I'll know better what sections we're NOT doing by tomorrow... and about what time we'll be passing by... and we can eddy out while ya hop in. Will be great FUNN!!! Mention here if ya need a ride from SLC... there might already be a car coming down with some spots... will know tonight/tomorrow.

Give me a text/holler if needed... :-)

(435)232-5383 Dave

Last edited by Diabolical Dave on Fri 22 Jul 2011, 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Laps on Logan, Sun 7/24 Empty Re: Laps on Logan, Sun 7/24

Post by Wil Thu 21 Jul 2011, 12:21 pm

Dave,
I would be interested, but have never run the Logan. I would like to get on it, but not sure if I am ready for true Class IV, as my Class IV experience is higher volume rivers in Colorado. I don't want to get over my head in my first non-Westy trip in Utah, so let me know what sections you are thinking of doing. I've done Royal Gorge and Numbers on the Arkansas 5 or 6 times each this season, so I'm not too rusty.

Thanks - Wil

Wil

Paddling Since : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill Thu 21 Jul 2011, 6:00 pm

Those are benchmark class IVs according to AW
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/Wiki/safety:class4benchmarkrapids
I think you will love it. Big water skills are what you want; you need to punch wave-holes, and have a decent brace in continuous IV- busy water. There are no real boof drops or tough moves I can think of (the Monolith lead-in has an easy but must-make move right; a right sneak has been pruned out a bit; also this is roadside and easily walked). Its preferable not to roll, since there are some rocks (just like Bridalveil and Ogden Narrows).
If you are used to big water, and in a big boat, you might think its all IV-.

Here is a little clip of the St Annes rapid at 1200. That hole punches at 1200, and now its down to 843.
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150241457933687
Notice that center or center-right misses the brush. Down the middle is the norm.

I'll try to post a Monolith clip this evening.

wasatchbill

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 Jul 2011, 12:51 am

Wil wrote:Dave,
I would be interested, but have never run the Logan. I would like to get on it, but not sure if I am ready for true Class IV, as my Class IV experience is higher volume rivers in Colorado. I don't want to get over my head in my first non-Westy trip in Utah, so let me know what sections you are thinking of doing. I've done Royal Gorge and Numbers on the Arkansas 5 or 6 times each this season, so I'm not too rusty.

Thanks - Wil

Yeah, no worries will. Then you wanna come a little early, so you can catch us for a nice warm-up on Bridger (real short class II+ section) and see how ya like it Cool. Also, from what you said, if you have a solid battle roll, and a decent brace, you should be just fine... just about anywhere on the logan -- MINUS Staircase :-)
Anyway, as of now... we'll be starting with the warm up on Bridger, and then drive up and scout so others can see the crux's, then chat and see who wants to do what, and go from there.
If we choose to do the long haul..... that would most likely include the following... first... starting on the Upper Mile of Red Banks (III+/IV-) then to Red Banks (III) to the Upper section (IV-), portage a big log :-)... then on to Woodcamp (class III+) and take out just after St. Annes. That will be about 10-ish miles (2-3 hours).
Then, if anyone is up for it, I'm hoping to end the day with some fun on the classic town section (III) (surely portaging bridge and v-wave if anyone feels like it). And if anyone wants some REAL excitement.... we can all go set up safety on staircase and see who has the biggest cajones/smallest brain. Cool

Maybe even pizza and suds after.

Hope that helps, and... I surely hope to see you all there.

-DAVE Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill Fri 22 Jul 2011, 3:58 am

Here's Monolith rapid; D Dave on the cam Very Happy
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150249563093687&saved
btw, below 800 I'm guessing the "Red Banks, upper mile" will be rather bumpy (there is a rock garden that was somewhat bumpy at 1300); but if you do it, let me know how it was.

wasatchbill

Back to top Go down

Post by Wil Fri 22 Jul 2011, 11:16 am

Dave,
What time would I need to meet you and where at to get the initial Bridger lap in? I will drive up myself, as I will have my wife, two kids and two dogs with me. How many people do you have coming? I'll plan on running the entire section you wrote about, but it will depend on how I feel in the boat.

Thanks - Wil

Wil

Paddling Since : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 Jul 2011, 8:08 pm

Wil wrote:Dave,
What time would I need to meet you and where at to get the initial Bridger lap in? I will drive up myself, as I will have my wife, two kids and two dogs with me. How many people do you have coming? I'll plan on running the entire section you wrote about, but it will depend on how I feel in the boat.

Thanks - Wil

We're meeting at 2pm in the parking lot at the park next to the lake at the bottom of the canyon. Driving into logan (FROM THE SOUTH)... just stay on main, turn right (OR LEFT IF COMING FROM NORTH) on 400 north, go about 1.5 miles up over hill and down other side... lake is on your right. And there's plenty of places for families to hang out throughout the canyon... and MOST allow dogs too. Anyway, call me if ya like, when coming into Logan. 435 232 5383. Hope to see ya there :-)

Last edited by Diabolical Dave on Sun 24 Jul 2011, 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Laps on Logan, Sun 7/24 Empty Join in for the Logan

Post by jdoerr Fri 22 Jul 2011, 11:41 pm

I would like to possibly join in for the Logan. I have only done the town section and am interested in doing more of it. I would be coming in from Pocatello. I will check back to see if any different times have been changed or feel free to contact me.
jdoerr at allidaho dot com or 208-251-8067.
Thanks
Jeff

jdoerr

Paddling Since : 1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Jul 2011, 1:16 am

Sure thing Jeff, glad to have ya Cool. If anyone needs directions, call/pm/or text me, and we'll make sure you make it Cool

Also, as it stands now,... we are meeting at 2 pm at the lake at the bottom of the canyon (known locally as 1st Dam). If there are any changes, and I highly doubt there will be, I'll be sure to let everyone know, here and by phone.

See ya then Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Jul 2011, 1:19 am

wasatchbill wrote:Here's Monolith rapid; D Dave on the cam Very Happy
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150249563093687&saved
btw, below 800 I'm guessing the "Red Banks, upper mile" will be rather bumpy (there is a rock garden that was somewhat bumpy at 1300); but if you do it, let me know how it was.

Yeah, was wonderin that. Might just start at red banks. Planned on scouting where
we could to help make that call.

Sure would like to have ya, Bill. You better have some real fun at that wedding
to miss this!
Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Craig.Bilderback Sat 23 Jul 2011, 11:55 am

Never done any of the Logan stuff....I would love to hook up with you guys. My lady would like to tag along on the Bridger section (The rest would be over her head) You all starting on that section at 2?
I'm comfy in class 4 as long as you guys don't mind me shouting woot and ye-haw every now and then.

Craig

Craig.Bilderback

Paddling Since : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jul 2011, 1:20 am

Craig.Bilderback wrote:Never done any of the Logan stuff....I would love to hook up with you guys. My lady would like to tag along on the Bridger section (The rest would be over her head) You all starting on that section at 2?
I'm comfy in class 4 as long as you guys don't mind me shouting woot and ye-haw every now and then.

Craig

Yeah, absolutely. We could always use more WOOOTs and YEEEEHAAAAWs!!! Plenty of places to chill out for your lady friend while we're gone, too. Directions and my number are in this thread. Feel free to holler if ya need.

SEE YOU ALL AT 2 Cool.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jul 2011, 12:33 pm

Craig.Bilderback wrote:Never done any of the Logan stuff....I would love to hook up with you guys. My lady would like to tag along on the Bridger section (The rest would be over her head) You all starting on that section at 2?

Craig

Craig, also, if you need directions or anything, holler at me, as i don't have your number. 435 232 5383.

Back to top Go down

Post by jdoerr Mon 25 Jul 2011, 2:41 pm

Thanks to Dave and the others that showed up for the Logan runs. It was a nice day, decent water and what better way to beat the heat. Overall, hard to beat and hopefully get more people to do it again.

Jeff

jdoerr

Paddling Since : 1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Jul 2011, 1:07 am

Thanks Jeff, I had a great time too! And even though I was way up front... I'm fairly certain I heard multiple whoot's and ye-haaawws coming from behind me Very Happy . Especially after the slide!!! Damn that was FUN!!! We had a GREAT group, a really great time, and even learned a little how to make it EVEN BETTER next time.
In fact... I hope everyone keeps their eyes out, 'cause next year... we might just make a weekly thing of it, durring the peak.... maybe get in a few extra miles to the back.... and see some new terrain!!!
Who knows... we could even camp up there at the top of it all.... in beautiful Franklin Basin!!! Laughing. Anyway, we'll see...
But for now, I'm fairly sure we all have another memory to look back on... and... Cool.

Thanks again everyone, for coming. Good times Cool. See you all on our next adventure.

-DAVE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down