Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Utah Rivers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Kayak Purchase

+9
Pcdc2
Vertder Miff
TennesseeJed
brandon
afaust
brianteats
LarryS
brightonb
msteffes
13 posters

Go down

Kayak Purchase Empty Kayak Purchase

Post by msteffes Mon 16 May 2011, 6:24 pm

Im looking to purchase my first whitewater kayak. Im a beginner. I've been researching lots of different kayaks and was hoping to get input from you.... What a good, beginner friendly, whitewater kayak?

msteffes

Paddling Since : 2011

Back to top Go down

Kayak Purchase Empty Re: Kayak Purchase

Post by brightonb Mon 16 May 2011, 7:08 pm

Shameless plug here. I'm selling a Jackson Rocker, a creekboat. The rounded chines and rounded decks make it much more beginner friendly than a play oriented boat. It's also very easy to roll. While it works very well for a beginner, this boat will work all the way through expert level for steep runs where play is not an option.

brightonb

Back to top Go down

Post by LarryS Mon 16 May 2011, 10:21 pm

How big are you? (inseam, weight, and foot size) The most important thing about a beginners boat is that it has to fit.

LarryS

Paddling Since : 1988

Back to top Go down

Post by brianteats Mon 16 May 2011, 11:14 pm

You looked allright in that Diesel you were in on Sunday. If you liked how that feels, I've heard the Pyrahna Burn it just like it, but better. The Dagger Mamba, feels similar.(in the pool at least) Personally, I'm kind of on the fence about my Diesel, but I like how the Liquid Logic Remix feels, and rolls. I think a lot of people like those, but they are full displacement(round bottom) so there would be little to no on-the-fly surf/play action. I've seen a bunch of folks start in hybrid river-runner/play boats like a Wavesport Fuse, Liquid Logic Ronin, Jackson Fun; enables you to get more out of each river trip and take advatage of the park-and-play spots around here.
brianteats
brianteats

Paddling Since : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by afaust Mon 16 May 2011, 11:34 pm

I will add another shameless plug. I have a 2009 Jackson Fun for sale. It is really comfortable, super easy to roll, and a really stable platform to learn on. It is designed to be a river running/play boat and has only been paddled 1.5 seasons. It comes with the happy feet and happy seat and I can throw in a float bag as well.

It would be best to know your weight, height, inseam, and foot size as Larry said. It would also help if we knew what kind of goals you have in the sport (ie playboating, creeking, big water or somewhere in between).

afaust

Paddling Since : 1492

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 May 2011, 12:01 am

If the price and size is right, AJ's fun would be a solid three year do everything boat. Only thing comparable for an all around starter boat are the old Wavesport EZ series. Getting a specialized boat as a beginner does nothing but force you to buy additional boats.

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon Tue 17 May 2011, 12:17 am

I got a big ez if you want to buy it. Make me an offer!
brandon
brandon

Paddling Since : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by msteffes Tue 17 May 2011, 10:01 am

Brian, that diesel felt good. It seemed to fit will. Im 6', 220lbs, 30" inseam and a size 11 foot. Would that rocker or ez fit me?

msteffes

Paddling Since : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by TennesseeJed Tue 17 May 2011, 12:28 pm

Big EZ might be more comfortable
TennesseeJed
TennesseeJed

Back to top Go down

Post by Vertder Miff Wed 18 May 2011, 12:53 pm

I have a Jackson 4Fun that I'd like to sell. I'd part with it for $400. It's similar to the Big EZ. I also have a skirt, paddle, and PFD to unload. PM me if interested.
Vertder Miff
Vertder Miff

Back to top Go down

Post by Pcdc2 Wed 18 May 2011, 2:53 pm

Nice Matt, way to take the plunge!
Pcdc2
Pcdc2

Paddling Since : The

Back to top Go down

Post by BrayD Wed 18 May 2011, 8:51 pm

my first boat was a Big EZ. (Actually it was my second, the pirouette s was my first but it was 11 feet long) I'm 6'2 170, size 10.5 feet. Good boat. I now paddle a 4Fun for most rivers. The two boats paddle similarly, but the 4Fun is way more comfortable, at least for me. I think you should buy the 4Fun from VMiff above. It's an excellent river running/ play boat, and you should fit in it very comfortably. You could use it as a primary boat as you advance, then buy a creeker when you're ready, and keep both boats... then if you want to start throwing woopdedoos on play waves you could trade it for a full-on play boat. I still haven't wanted to make that trade yet... It surfs and spins fine, I can't throw any fancy moves in it... but don't think I"d be able to in a smaller boat either.
Cheers

BrayD

Paddling Since : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by unattendedboat Thu 19 May 2011, 12:05 am

buy a Liquid logic remix, I have two..and neither are for sale... its the best boat EVER! im 6'3 220 12 feet maybe get a 69 or 79 if you plan on going big
unattendedboat
unattendedboat

Paddling Since : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Thu 19 May 2011, 10:32 am

I would say go with a solid river runner or a solid play boat. I had a cross between the two, and it was not good for anything. There are a few schools of thought on this of coarse, but I feel that if I would have gotten a Remix from the start I would have gotten much better faster. As far as the Jackson 4 Fun being a three year boat that depends on how fast you catch on, how aggressive you are, if you take any classes, and if you have a good mentor. I am sure for some it could be a three year boat, but if you want to run class IV, and V get a full on river runner to learn with. I know a guy from North Carolina that was running the Green Narrows, and Ravens Fork within his first year. And I have met people that have ran the North Fork of the Payette in there first year. If you buy a remix, you will be able to progress fast, and learn in a boat that you can do almost anything in. Then if you decide later on that you want to get a play boat get a full on play boat. When I bought my first boat it was a cross between a river runner/ playboat. Then I had to buy a full on creeker, and a full on play boat. Then I had the task of selling my first boat, and it took forever. I am sure you could demo some of these if you ask.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Paddling Since : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnie a. Thu 19 May 2011, 11:40 am

johnnie a.
johnnie a.

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Thu 19 May 2011, 12:32 pm

What the heck Johnnie ? Smile