Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Utah Rivers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Winter time ramblings, opinions?

+5
Cap'n RedBeard
Jeff Young
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
wasatchbill
brianteats
9 posters

Go down

Winter time ramblings, opinions? Empty Winter time ramblings, opinions?

Post by brianteats Tue 14 Dec 2010, 12:55 pm

Recently I discovered a little gem called Murchison Falls on the Victoria Nile, Africa. After much research, I'm 99% sure this will never be run in a kayak...intentionally. Right side falls looks doable (this is all-pro level stuff here, you won't catch me doing these falls, but I think I've seen enough video to gage pro-level-doable stuff) the main left falls is something resembling water exploding strait out of hell's seive-filled couldron itself. The short lead-in is ridiculous Class V, the falls itself funnells 11,000cfs+ into a 20-30ft wide, triple-tiered 125 foot falls. Watching the video, here's a good one- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSUPToCvtwA (first minute, or so) it's looks like even the water is scared and trying to come back up out of it (LOL!)
Expedition descriptions, like ones found on Steve Fisher's site with Hendri Coetzee(RIP) and Tyler Bradt seem to end their trip before the falls and avoiding 'an unintentional first D down the falls'.

So what do you think? Will it ever be done?
Anything else on your 'That'll never be run." list?
(Rivers over 1000 cfs please, obviously no one's gonna hurl themselves over the waterfall up Waterfall Canyon.)
brianteats
brianteats

Paddling Since : 2008

Back to top Go down

Winter time ramblings, opinions? Empty Re: Winter time ramblings, opinions?

Post by wasatchbill Tue 14 Dec 2010, 10:48 pm

Rivers over 1000cfs? Why not muse about 6th water @500?

wasatchbill

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Wed 15 Dec 2010, 8:23 pm

I will put it this way if some of the biggest names in the industry, and Africa are staying away from it, it is probably a no go. Looking at it the lead in it seems worse than any video of difficult whitewater I have ever seen. There seems to be a bad recirculation at the bottom of the first drop, with chaotic water exploding everywhere. I think once you were in there you would find it very hard to stay on line or up right, and would figure out that it was not the best idea. My opinion is that it is unrunnable by most, but maybe someone will buck up, and huck it. Beautiful waterfall though.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Paddling Since : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young Wed 15 Dec 2010, 8:57 pm

Uh, fuck that!
Jeff Young
Jeff Young

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'n RedBeard Wed 15 Dec 2010, 10:07 pm

Just booked my flight to Africa. Does anyone know the ups and down of flying with a boat?
Cap'n RedBeard
Cap'n RedBeard

Back to top Go down

Post by scotticus Wed 15 Dec 2010, 10:09 pm

I'd do it....in one of those Zorb balls. bounce

scotticus

Paddling Since : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by unattendedboat Wed 15 Dec 2010, 11:16 pm

the falls looks like it flushes...no problem, now the giant fish that are mucking about in the eddies, you'd roll and get your head sucked off by a 53 lbs perch...no dice
unattendedboat
unattendedboat

Back to top Go down

Post by Alphawave Thu 16 Dec 2010, 1:05 pm

I think a Creature Craft would be perfect for it. They're made for rescue, not precision boating. They're big, heavy (they have ballast in the bottom to lower center of gravity) and hard to control, but you wouldn't need/couldn't use any control. Just buckle up (yes, they have seat belts) and enjoy the ride.

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3B54mufx5Q

Alphawave

Back to top Go down

Post by RTR Sat 18 Dec 2010, 10:02 pm

This may just be my first post on our beloved "new" forum.

And in my opinion, the question is this: Is there a point where kayaking becomes 100% about where the river takes you, completely nullifying any skill, preparation, technique, intelligence, or finesse?

Once those things things are out of the equation by virtue of the river, the only thing left may very well be overgrown, swollen pair of testicles, which are all-too-often associated with a blatant disregard for the safety of self and others.

Could it be run? Most definitely. And this answer applies to all of the "Wow, dude, there's probably a line in there," drops. But would the paddler run the river, or would the river run the paddler?

When the paddling community can become less concerned about the chest-thumping associated with "first D's," records drops, or record flows, then only will we return to why kayaking is so great.

But that's only my $0.02, and I could be dead wrong.

EDIT: I guess it's my second post.

Last edited by RTR on Sun 19 Dec 2010, 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
RTR
RTR

Paddling Since : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by scotticus Sun 19 Dec 2010, 8:18 am

Hey Brian, and FSM remember that kayaker evolution I was talking about while on the river, it turn out the only evolution weve seen as of yet is supersized testicals, not exactly what I had in mind though. Smile

as it turns out im running the Dirty Devil Canyon in a couple hours on my packrafting/backpacking/hitch-hiking adventure I'm doing. I stayed in a new friends home tonight in Ferron. They picked me up and took me in, fed me dinner, gave me 5lbs of jerky and pecans and a waterproofh light. Awesome people. Although It would have been neat to head toward St. George. North Fork of the Virgin is flowing at over 700 cfs.

scotticus

Paddling Since : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down