Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Utah Rivers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Blackfoot trip report

Go down

Blackfoot trip report Empty Blackfoot trip report

Got to packraft the Blackfoot yesterday. The flows posted on the USGS site are deceiving for the Wolverine Canyon run. It's flowing around 500 cfs which was plenty of water for that class V run. I had read about all of the poison ivy on the run. But didn't have any troubles with that stuff, not a single rash. All of the poison ivy that I saw was down in the class I stretches nearer the take out. I ended up portaging twice. The first was scrambling over a couple rocks near the bank around this huge whole. I was running my packraft without the deck and skirt retrofitted yet, so I wasn't sure if I could quite make that one with a boat full of water. The second portage was on the last two major drops of the run. At current levels it looked like the top drop could be runnable in a hardshell but the one below it looked unrunnable, like you might get wedged vertically between rocks with the whole river bearing down on you. The rest of the rapids looked intimidating But I navigated and otherwise just flushed through everywhere that I wanted to go, hit the eddies I wanted, even with a boat full of water. Wolverine Canyon is relatively pool drop in nature at the current flow, and I could see and eddy out above all of the biggest rapids to scout. Teller tube has the least eddies above it, and definately needs a scout. If I were to do this run again, I would definately portage Teller Tube. This run requires a full day. I got a late start at 3:30 after hitch-hiking in, so I ended up spending the night at the last portage. Over all, It was a great trip. I'd run it again at the same lever, but with my spray deck in place. Also there is a nice 20 mile class I-III stretch Below Black Foot Reservoir. A run description is available on americanwhiterwater.org
scotticus

Paddling Since : 2007

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Blackfoot trip report :: Comments

Post Thu 06 Sep 2012, 12:24 am by wasatchbill

I bet thats a first packraft descent. Glad you made it out Scott! You should get a GoPro.

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 07 Sep 2012, 1:03 pm by scotticus

Here is a youtube video I found of the Blackfoot. The first rapid shown is Teller Tube. You can see that there is a rock and wood seive right below where they eddied out. I suspect that is what killed a kayaker back in 07. There is a plaque memorating that boater right of that rapid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWvRIY5ZFRM&feature=fvsr

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down