Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Utah Rivers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Looking for 6th water beta?

+12
afaust
brightonb
brandon
Cap'n RedBeard
Jeff Young
HoBag
wasatchbill
Vertder Miff
unattendedboat
PeruH2o
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
etharris
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Looking for 6th water beta? Empty Looking for 6th water beta?

Post by etharris Thu 23 Sep 2010, 7:42 pm

Hi-
I am researching a possible move to Provo and I am trying to find info on 6th water creek? What is the current situation with the creek? I read on another forum that there was a rebar and/or flow issue? It looks like a nice local resource and so want to make sure it is good to go!

How long is the season for this creek? Does it run in the summer? What is the minimum fun level?

How long does it take to get there from Provo (I have a high clearance 4x4)?

Thanks for the help. Gotta make sure I can get my fix!

etharris

Paddling Since : 2000

Back to top Go down

Looking for 6th water beta? Empty Re: Looking for 6th water beta?

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Thu 23 Sep 2010, 10:42 pm

It is pretty low year round. Fun once, but abusive. Class VI hike out. I would drive to Idaho from Utah before I ran Sixth Water again.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Paddling Since : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by PeruH2o Thu 23 Sep 2010, 10:46 pm

LOL FSM!!! I was thinking about 6th water, too. Why is it so abusive? Is there an actual creek that you can run besides the drops? Or is it just a park and huck thing? The videos and pictures look cool.

PeruH2o

Back to top Go down

Post by unattendedboat Fri 24 Sep 2010, 1:41 am

its all park and huck- there is a lower section aka lower sixth- Wbill and i cleaned some lower lower section last year, if you were dedicated to clean up the logs across it, it could become fairly good quality paddling in the spring. Provo, has bridel veil falls and spanish fork and a hour drive over to price going for it but thats about it, ogden seems to be the place to be with its shorter distances to ID WY and OR boating
unattendedboat
unattendedboat

Paddling Since : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Sep 2010, 6:00 am

6th. It is definitely fun in there, but more of a novelty than a run. The rebar is gone, but there was some rock fall this year that lessened the fun factor a bit. Contrary to previous posts, it doesn't really bump with run off. Historically there are bumps in the spring and fall(goes up to 60) for cleaning the pipe of algae and moss, but it is constant(30-40) year round. Accessibility is a greater factor. They will shut down the roads and open them based on snow pack. The lower sixth water run is good if it is January and you have forgotten what good boating really is. I had a great day up there when I ran it but I am pretty sure it had more to do with the company than the run.

The Immediate locals are the American fork and the provo. Both are seasonal. You'll hear about the Spanish fork here and there. It is class !! and another run I only consider if there is nothing else running.

Hope this helps. The upside to UT is it is centrally located. Co,ID,Cali,OR WA,WY, MO,AZ,etc. If you don't mind the roadies.

Oct. '09
https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=35496&id=1516151754&l=9a2aefdbf5

Hucktoberfest is on the 16th this year. Wear a costume and come hit it up with us!

If you have any questions drop me an Email and I'll give you the digits.
craigwaddellatlivedotcom

Back to top Go down

Post by Vertder Miff Fri 24 Sep 2010, 10:57 am

MO = Missouri. I'm pretty sure Craig meant MT for Montana.
Vertder Miff
Vertder Miff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Sep 2010, 10:59 am

Thats what I get for posting at 4 am. Yep.

Back to top Go down

Post by etharris Sat 25 Sep 2010, 3:25 pm

Are there any options in the summer/fall besides hentag, spanish fork, 6th fork, and snake(jackson hole)?

Wondering if I am missing anything.

What about murtaugh?

etharris

Paddling Since : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Vertder Miff Sat 25 Sep 2010, 7:57 pm

There's Westwater. Murtaugh isn't running right now. It will sometimes run for a little bit in the winter. I ran it this February at around 2,700cfs.
Vertder Miff
Vertder Miff

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill Mon 27 Sep 2010, 2:08 am

Shoshone on the Colorado (east of Glenwood Springs CO) probably has a better flow than Alpine Canyon on the Snake right now, and its about the same distance from Provo. One could add some IV+ upstream of Shoshone; called Barrel Springs; its easy to walk the "Upper Death" start, since there is a bike path the whole way along the river.

Gore canyon is a bit further (7 hours), "the post-season run for ... experts in Colorado."
http://www.eddyflower.com/RunDetailstabs.aspx?RunId=71

I would like to see 6th water at 60, or 40 for that matter; we did it at 29.
29 cfs! BUMPY. The current 32 cfs is 10% higher ;-). WTF, two guys with 5 gallon buckets at the top could increase the flow significantly :-). "Dropping in- GO with the buckets!!"

wasatchbill

Back to top Go down

Post by unattendedboat Mon 27 Sep 2010, 9:37 pm

in the spring you get a ton of water from 5th water dumping in as well as some melt that goes into 6th- Ive personally seen it a higher levels and looks do-able- Im speaking of lower lower 6th/5th
unattendedboat
unattendedboat

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Mon 27 Sep 2010, 9:42 pm

PeruH2o wrote:LOL FSM!!! I was thinking about 6th water, too. Why is it so abusive? Is there an actual creek that you can run besides the drops? Or is it just a park and huck thing? The videos and pictures look cool.
It is not a park, and huck. It is a drive forever on washboard road depending on where you are coming from. Park, hike like hell, huck a boney creek, and hike from the pits of hell all the way to the peak of Everest with a boat on your back. Not worth it. When I ran it the first time it was the coolest thing I had done so far, but now I think it is a waste. Fun once unless you have ran real waterfalls then in that case don't bother.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Paddling Since : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Sep 2010, 10:00 pm

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster wrote:
PeruH2o wrote:LOL FSM!!! I was thinking about 6th water, too. Why is it so abusive? Is there an actual creek that you can run besides the drops? Or is it just a park and huck thing? The videos and pictures look cool.
It is not a park, and huck. It is a drive forever on washboard road depending on where you are coming from. Park, hike like hell, huck a boney creek, and hike from the pits of hell all the way to the peak of Everest with a boat on your back. Not worth it. When I ran it the first time it was the coolest thing I had done so far, but now I think it is a waste. Fun once unless you have ran real waterfalls then in that case don't bother.
WOW! You run one big drop and it goes to your head...

I continue to have fun in there. Folks from states with Big drops still love it. As far as forever on washboard, it is an hour from provo and the roads have been grated. I hope beyond hope, for your own sanity, you either move out of state or finally find your spectral unicorn, your ruby slippers or whatever the fuck it is that gets your heart thumping and your ___ wet. Sorry your mangina hurts on the hike out, but I have done bigger hikes for lower quality. 100 feet up? Are you always hardcore? Do you even understand stupid giddy fun? You ever thought of smoking weed? Couldn't hurt.

Back to top Go down

Post by HoBag Mon 27 Sep 2010, 10:42 pm

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster wrote:Not worth it. When I ran it the first time it was the coolest thing I had done so far, but now I think it is a waste. Fun once unless you have ran real waterfalls then in that case don't bother.

Yo Daniel,
Good to know you won't be joining us for Halloween Huckfest. You're already a bigot, if you show up at huckfest, you'll be a hypocrite too! Utah has always had a Mad Shawn, though I don't think the mad shawns have ever realized that they are in fact the mad shawn. You are Utah's current Mad Shawn.

Andy Hobag
HoBag
HoBag

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young Mon 27 Sep 2010, 10:54 pm

Fuckin a dude.... come on. Every time I've taken you there you've had fun but whine like a little bitch about that hike out Smile Its not that bad, if you DON'T fall down the hill. Hell, Markmedic and I did 6th Dub in the frickin snow with Donaca TIED TO A TREE (get your head out of the gutter.. this time) so she could video without taking a header down the hill. Don't make people list the reasons you shouldn't act like a water snob. We've had this talk before kiddo. Smile Smile
Jeff Young
Jeff Young

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young Mon 27 Sep 2010, 10:55 pm

Oh and I prob was a "Mad Shawn" due to my past high levels of maddness. Smile All downhill from here. Woohooo
Jeff Young
Jeff Young

Back to top Go down

Post by unattendedboat Mon 27 Sep 2010, 10:58 pm

that just happened
unattendedboat
unattendedboat

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young Mon 27 Sep 2010, 11:05 pm

OH SNAP!
Jeff Young
Jeff Young

Back to top Go down

Post by Vertder Miff Tue 28 Sep 2010, 10:15 am

For clarification, the epic hike to which Daniel is referring is about a half-mile on a dirt road.
Vertder Miff
Vertder Miff

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young Tue 28 Sep 2010, 10:51 am

And, if you think about it, half of it is downhill....both ways. Smile
Jeff Young
Jeff Young

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'n RedBeard Tue 28 Sep 2010, 1:56 pm

etharris,

Sixth Water is stupid-silly-fun. I've met people from the east who went out of their way to run the creek and had a blast. The hike up the hill isn't bad at all if your in somewhat decent shape. After the Halloween huckfest blue angel run any new rocks should be knocked out of the way Wink. Im from Orem, next to Provo, and there is a fun stretch in provo canyon during run off. Hit me up when you get to town.

FSM,

You make me laugh trash talking a Utah classic. You wouldn't like Gates of Lodore, its another Utah classic. Its 44 miles long of one of the most beautiful places out west, but I don't think that is why you boat. Well, I just got back from their and have to say, even if the white water isn't some gnar gnar, I would for sure do it again. Well, don't get your self killed getting over your head, which your already doing, its a matter of time. Can't get sponsored if that happens.
Cap'n RedBeard
Cap'n RedBeard

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon Tue 28 Sep 2010, 2:18 pm

This is funny.. thanks for keeping my day at work fun
brandon
brandon

Paddling Since : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by brightonb Wed 29 Sep 2010, 11:48 am

Oh, the drama! There must not be much to boat right now. By the way, skiing powder is for wimps that can't handle ice covered bumps. -just getting a head start.

brightonb

Back to top Go down

Post by afaust Wed 29 Sep 2010, 3:01 pm

elohel?

afaust

Paddling Since : 1492

Back to top Go down

Post by stb Wed 29 Sep 2010, 4:04 pm

Maybe you all don't realize this, but flying spaghettie man hikes the shit in GRIP SOCKS! Not like you pansy asses with your shoes. can you imagine stepping on a thorn or sharp rock? Ouch! That would really hurt..

Class VI+ UNWALKABLE is more like it

Also, if you are moving to utah and expect sixth water to be your back yard run you will be sorely disappointed. A classic it is not.
stb
stb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next