Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Utah Rivers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Best Multi-Day Class II/II+ Float in the Area

4 posters

Go down

Best Multi-Day Class II/II+ Float in the Area Empty Best Multi-Day Class II/II+ Float in the Area

Post by Wil Tue 23 Aug 2011, 10:41 pm

Got an idea to do a multi-day float trip over Labor Day (along with half of America) or possibly the 3 day weekend after that, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for something that won't be too crowded and is Class II/II+ or lower, and enough water to float a loaded 18' cataraft. I would rather drive at most 6 hours from Park City / SLC, and figure the runs we have done before at this class (Ruby / Horsethief and Upper Colorado) will be zoos. So can someone recommend something in Wyoming, Idaho or our great state that will satisfy this. I was thinking Desolation, but wasn't sure how hard it would be to get a permit, and if there is a shorter option, as we only have three days including travel.

Thanks for any knowledge.

Last edited by Wil on Tue 23 Aug 2011, 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Me being me)

Wil

Paddling Since : 1999

Back to top Go down

Best Multi-Day Class II/II+ Float in the Area Empty Re: Best Multi-Day Class II/II+ Float in the Area

Post by Guest Tue 23 Aug 2011, 11:17 pm

Labyrinth canyon is awesome, but probably pushing it with only three days. Haven't looked at flows though. Should be on the must make list at some point. Generally done in 4 days, and not the sort of run you really want to blow through. So gauge is at 5k, unreal for this time of year. Little bit of planning and easily manageable...bring bug spray.

Back to top Go down

Best Multi-Day Class II/II+ Float in the Area Empty Re: Best Multi-Day Class II/II+ Float in the Area

Post by Wil Wed 24 Aug 2011, 9:03 am

That does look nice. But have to agree with you that 3 days would be missing the reason for doing the trip. Is it possible to Put-in at Ruby Ranch? Looks like it would cut off 18 miles, so 48 miles in 3 days is definitely a lot more manageable.

Wil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 24 Aug 2011, 9:27 am

Ruby ranch is the way I did it. I think the farmer charges a parking fee, which was pretty reasonable. I don't remember the details, it has been over 15 years since i was in there. Eddy flower has a pretty decent run description.

Back to top Go down

Post by LarryS Wed 24 Aug 2011, 2:23 pm

We did Labyrinth and Stillwater from Ruby Ranch a couple years ago in the fall with sea kayaks. We used 7 days for the trip and wished we had taken longer. 3 days for Labyrinth would be pushing it at this time of year.

LarryS

Paddling Since : 1988

Back to top Go down

Best Multi-Day Class II/II+ Float in the Area Empty Green River below Flaming Gorge

Post by Guest Wed 24 Aug 2011, 2:45 pm

From the Dam to Swallow Canyon Ramp or Swinging Bridge is a very nice 3 day trip with nice camping, nice easy rapids and good flows (this year). I just got off that trip on Sunday. It's about 4 hours to put in from SLC with a 2-2.5 hr shuttle. About 26-30 miles depending on take out, but could be shorter.

Back to top Go down

Best Multi-Day Class II/II+ Float in the Area Empty More Info Please

Post by Wil Thu 25 Aug 2011, 9:10 am

Daniel A. wrote:From the Dam to Swallow Canyon Ramp or Swinging Bridge is a very nice 3 day trip with nice camping, nice easy rapids and good flows (this year). I just got off that trip on Sunday. It's about 4 hours to put in from SLC with a 2-2.5 hr shuttle. About 26-30 miles depending on take out, but could be shorter.

Daniel, that definitely looks like a good 3 day option, as I have a buddy coming from Northern CO, so closer for him too. Is there any more info to be found on this? I found the dam, but couldn't find Swallow or Swinging Bridge. Any kind of rapids to be concerned about (we're taking youngins)? Would you recommend any camp spots? How bad were the bugs for you last weekend?

Is this the Sections A, B and C runs? I found some not too detailed descrips on EddyFlower, and how easy would it be for my wife and kids to portage Red Creek Rapid? Is it still labeled like it says on EF.com?

Sorry for so many questions, but thanks - Wil

Wil

Back to top Go down

Best Multi-Day Class II/II+ Float in the Area Empty I just update the run descriptions

Post by Guest Fri 26 Aug 2011, 12:27 pm

...and added the blm web site which has a downloadable river map and camp info. (Eddyflower was throwing fits and I could not add the river, so look for Red Canyon, Devil's Hole and Swallow Canyon descriptions under Utah).

I took my 3 year old Daughter and ran everything. She totally loved the trip. The bugs were mild but bring bug dope just the same.

The rapids are very mellow above 1200 cfs. They get rocky and more technical as the flows drop, which can make things interesting, especially in Red Creek. At current flows, it is a class 2 run and red creek is maybe 2+.

See the info on camping on Devils Hole. All the camps except Backwater (which sucks)looked nice. Some has steep banks to carry gear up, but nothing terrible. I would recommed signing up for camps and camping early.

For Swallow Cyn, use river left at Little Swallow Rapid. Eddy out near the bottom of the rapid. The second camp is about 75 yards downstream same side. The camps up and downstream pale in comparison.

Let me kniow if you have any more ?'s.

Back to top Go down

Best Multi-Day Class II/II+ Float in the Area Empty and a few more thing

Post by Guest Fri 26 Aug 2011, 12:51 pm

Bring rain gear. It's T-storm season. For us, mornings were clear and warm, then around noon, the cloud quickly built and we had some rain and wind. Day one was the worst, but we also didn't launch until 5 or so in the PM. The weather in general sticks to the high mtns and the ridge east of the river but gets better the further downstream you go. It helps to get a early start day 1 and 2.

Rd Creek can be scouted best river right on a trail about 50 yards abouve the drop. Watch for poison ivy right near the river.

It could be portaged either left (through willows and across creek) or right on trail up high, but it would be a longish portage.

We had high flow (dam fluctations) when we ran RC and were able to do a river left run straight shot with a light pull towards center at bottom (in a very heavy 16 foot bucket boat).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 Aug 2011, 7:55 pm

This would be a much better option wil. Ironically hadn't thought of it after floating it last weekend. Like daniel's recommendation, be prepared for rain. We only floated the A section and got doused pretty heavily in spurts. Until the end of swallow canyon, the whole run is gorgeous. In talking to the ramp ranger, I would recommend being at least 80% rigged when you drop your boat in. It gets pretty busy at the put in. I would say red creek is(or was) more 3ish though. I haven't been there since they dynamited the fun out of there.

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill Mon 29 Aug 2011, 1:51 am

hey Daniel (and anyone editing an Eddyflower run description; where the river name seems to drop out of the description, and then the run won't sort properly in the list of Utah runs): try using Internet Explorer 8, to edit an Eddyflower description and put the river name back in there. I've had problems with IE 9, Chrome and Firefox.

btw we had epic rain and hail on the Snake yesterday- even caused a spectacular landslide on river left- bring warm gear up there or anywhere!

wasatchbill

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon Mon 29 Aug 2011, 1:37 pm

I will upload video of the land slide. So cool! The river went from green to brown very cool to see!
brandon
brandon

Paddling Since : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down