Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Utah Rivers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

noob places to start...

+2
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
laminac
6 posters

Go down

noob places to start... Empty noob places to start...

Post by laminac Fri 24 Jun 2011, 5:38 pm

I'm in salt lake, and would like to know of some good places to start doing a little whitewater. I have a canoe, it is a coleman... probably not the best boat for whitewater, but I figure it would be fun to try it. I would like to get into river running possibly building up to a day trip or even a several day trip. I would prefer a place in the salt lake area to practice (the closer the better). I know up the provo river by the damn is a good place but I would like there to be a little closer place if possible. Thanks.

laminac

Paddling Since : marc

Back to top Go down

noob places to start... Empty Re: noob places to start...

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Fri 24 Jun 2011, 7:33 pm

Henefer to Taggarts, Weber River
89 to Riverdale Wave, Weber River
Riverdale to OPP, Weber River
Spanish Fork, Spanish Fork River
Rainbow Gardens, Ogden River
Loren Farr Bridge Wave, Ogden River

These are mostly class two with few hazards. If the water is
warm it is even safer because a swim is not going to freeze you
to death.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Paddling Since : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Fri 24 Jun 2011, 8:35 pm

May I add to never boat without others that know the river, and safety.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by unattendedboat Sat 25 Jun 2011, 12:17 am

im suprised jeff the local canoeist isnt all over this one. he'll have you demoing a whitewater canoe and running hen-tag in no time!

Last edited by unattendedboat on Sat 25 Jun 2011, 12:48 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : comic relief)
unattendedboat
unattendedboat

Paddling Since : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young Sat 25 Jun 2011, 12:57 am

Ref the original poster- You're going to have fun in that Coleman, up until the point that the center keel catches on a rock and flips you, then pins against a rock and the weak aluminum gunwales fold nicely around said rock. The Coleman isn't a whitewater boat, due to the keel it can't turn fast enough to avoid trouble and the keel is trouble as it catches on everything in moving water. Every year there are a few wrapped canoes (mostly Colemans) in the rock garden on the Hentag section of the Weber River. Hentag is the most popular run in Utah, forget what others say about it as they are simply trying to puff their chest up and look cool to others. Not working. If you are going to do it anyway, put in below Croyden bridge and remove the hardest part and the portage around the low bridge out of the picture.

If you're really interested in whitewater canoeing, hit me up by PM.
Jeff Young
Jeff Young

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Sat 25 Jun 2011, 4:39 pm

Puff their chest up? By what down grading hen tag? I think overrating things is more of a chest puffing situation. Anyway hen tag can be fun, and I have swam many times through the rock garden when I was starting, and while trying a C-1 that belonged to Jeff. I would say ditch the open boat, and go for a kayak. There are moves to make in the boulder garden, but at summer flows it is an easy swim. I mean geez it is only the largest tubed river in the state.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by brianteats Sat 25 Jun 2011, 9:02 pm

Speaking of hen-tag, Anyone up for a run tomorrow, say...noon? (Sunday) Still nice flows before it's full-on inflatable aligator season. And for those curious, Hen-Tag is always entertaining, to me, because you always have the option to turn this simple Class II+ run into something more by picking different lines throught the boulder garden, trying to weave around every pillar through the bridge slolom, going sideways through the minor drops, or trying it in different watercraft; among other things. Text or reply...
brianteats
brianteats

Back to top Go down

Post by Vertder Miff Sat 25 Jun 2011, 9:46 pm

To clarify, laminac, 89 to Riverdale and Rainbow Gardens are not class II.
Vertder Miff
Vertder Miff

Back to top Go down

Post by unattendedboat Sat 25 Jun 2011, 11:46 pm

to double clarify spanish fork is a class 48.9423 when swimming under logs. the potential for stubbing your toe climbing up the rocks at the take out might even bump it up to a 48.9424. if you actually inhale the coal dust as the coal train goes by your talking long-term black lung which really puts the river over the top. Id leave it to the sponsored boaters. jesus....
unattendedboat
unattendedboat

Back to top Go down

Post by unattendedboat Sat 25 Jun 2011, 11:51 pm

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster wrote:Puff their chest up? By what down grading hen tag? I think overrating things is more of a chest puffing situation. Anyway hen tag can be fun, and I have swam many times through the rock garden when I was starting, and while trying a C-1 that belonged to Jeff. I would say ditch the open boat, and go for a kayak. There are moves to make in the boulder garden, but at summer flows it is an easy swim. I mean geez it is only the largest tubed river in the state.

noob places to start... Penguin_Pinguino1

Daniel, I found our new logo, ill get stickers sent out immediately
unattendedboat
unattendedboat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down