Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Utah Rivers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

What's the lowdown on Farmington CR and Big Cottonwood Cr?

4 posters

Go down

What's the lowdown on Farmington CR and Big Cottonwood Cr? Empty What's the lowdown on Farmington CR and Big Cottonwood Cr?

Post by Guest Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:29 am

I assume they are up and running? Has anyone been down, and if so, what's the wood situation? I'd like to hit them both up at some point is my schedule allows. C-dub, you game? B.T.W C-Dubster, you need to head my way to get some on the AF this year.

Back to top Go down

What's the lowdown on Farmington CR and Big Cottonwood Cr? Empty Re: What's the lowdown on Farmington CR and Big Cottonwood Cr?

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Tue 19 Apr 2011, 9:59 am

I live right beside Farmington. I looked at it yesterday. There are runnable sections with wood in between. If you come up we can scout, and go from there. We cleaned out a section last year not sure if it is still clean.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Paddling Since : 2009

Back to top Go down

What's the lowdown on Farmington CR and Big Cottonwood Cr? Empty Re: What's the lowdown on Farmington CR and Big Cottonwood Cr?

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Tue 19 Apr 2011, 4:12 pm

Hey Daniel I am going to go look at Farmington in a minute. I will try to have some photos or short video when I return.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Tue 19 Apr 2011, 7:59 pm

I could not get my photo to load so I post it here http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-YISGyNjfXug/Ta4hj1k-50I/AAAAAAAAAFI/0-CthaRfd50/s1600/P4190234.JPG

as of now there are some clean sections that are runnable. With a little wood removal this could be a great run in my back yard.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Back to top Go down

What's the lowdown on Farmington CR and Big Cottonwood Cr? Empty I likey the look of that

Post by Guest Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:10 pm

That looks sweet! I may be able to go on Sunday, weather and flow dependant. Any chance that would work for you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:11 pm

Sure I will try to clean some wood if I can get some help.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young Tue 19 Apr 2011, 9:21 pm

I'm down with that. It was a great stout creeky run last year and looking forward to hit a longer section of it.
Jeff Young
Jeff Young

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill Tue 19 Apr 2011, 10:44 pm

Daniel A, you do know that the Ogden, Weber, BV, Price and Joes Valley are running, right?
Smile
Since you love manky steep creeks, may I also suggest Celestial Gorge + Lower 6th water

wasatchbill

Back to top Go down

What's the lowdown on Farmington CR and Big Cottonwood Cr? Empty Yeah, I am really that dumb

Post by Guest Tue 19 Apr 2011, 11:36 pm

My wife just brought it to my heathen attention that Sunday is Easter, and that I will be otherwise engaged hiding Easter eggs and the such on that day. What about Friday around 5-ish (very tentative)? I don't know if I could even make it through rush hour traffic from Utah County, but I do want to run Farmington at some point.

Bill, Yeah I did BV with Johnny on Sunday (1st run since surgery). The other's are fine runs, but I'm looking for something short, sweet and scary.

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill Tue 19 Apr 2011, 11:41 pm

"I'm looking for something short, sweet and scary."
Ogden Narrows @1000 should do it? Instead of scouting for a couple hours, you can do a couple laps. It does suffer from a lack of wood, compared to AF and Farmington; although the occasional log accompanies you moving downstream Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by wasatchbill on Tue 19 Apr 2011, 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

wasatchbill

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill Tue 19 Apr 2011, 11:47 pm

I don't know if this will discourage or encourage you, but the "Lower Farmington" run on Eddyflower.com has not had (to my limited knowledge) more than maybe 3 or 4 descents; Corey Volt (one of the runs that got him on his pro boating career), Nathan Packam, not sure who else; although Alan Clark blew his shoulder on this run; so the injury-to-attempts ratio must be around 20-25%. Its an insanely steep series of narrow slides; and it ain't IV+.

The very short stretch we did, and FSMs photos, are above there.

wasatchbill

Back to top Go down

Post by npackham Wed 20 Apr 2011, 2:53 pm

Corey ran more that anybody else, but I'm still not sure where he was even after seeing photos and talking to him a couple of times.

Just so we're up front let me describe a typical farmington creek trip.

1 hour to find a stretch you'd like to run that day - 200 yards max.
1 hour pulling out wood and pinning down the specifics of trying to make it happen.
1 hour to run it a couple of times (20 seconds of boating and the rest bushwacking)
1 hour of picking the burrs off your skirt and rubbing salve on the hamburger where your shins used to be

That said, it makes for a non-traditional fun time and I'm up for it again some saturday.

npackham

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Apr 2011, 4:16 pm

Report from Big is in. Multiple riverwide strainers, and the entire riverbed has changed from the High flow last year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Wed 20 Apr 2011, 4:46 pm

There is some good stuff on what is being called the middle farmington. Drops of to 5 foot, and boof, and smears everywhere. Very few eddies, but with some one to drag you into one at the end, and you are good to go. The thing about farmington is it is steep, tight, and fast depending on flow. Nathan is right about how a run typically go, but being someone that hates hiking in on runs it is well worth it for the type of run Farmington is. It could be some of the best class IV to V creeking in the state if people would run it more, and help keep it clean. Depending on what gets ran you could put in at the top of the Canyon, and go to the Pond, but that would a big feat, and I am not totally sure what is inbetween. I do know that there is some things in there that are unrunnable.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Back to top Go down

What's the lowdown on Farmington CR and Big Cottonwood Cr? Empty I'm very intrigued

Post by Guest Wed 20 Apr 2011, 9:21 pm

Sounds like I'll need more than a few hours though, so I will have to put it on the backburner till I have a free day. Looks on EF like the flow is down a bit also.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down