Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Utah Rivers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Oggie race cancelled?

+5
rippnskier
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Cap'n RedBeard
AT
Vertder Miff
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Oggie race cancelled? Empty Oggie race cancelled?

Post by Guest Mon 23 Aug 2010, 10:38 pm

From
the UWC calendar:September 25, 2010 OGDEN RIVER RELEASE/Race Race may
be cancelled, and if it is come enjoy the 450 cfs release between
10am-1pm.

So... got the safety, got the release, so lack of
follow thru? If this release happens and there is no race, I guarantee
there will be no further rec releases in the...
future. This is a huge fail. The club offered to take over. If this
is not the case, the club should let the rest of us know, so we can make it
happen regardless. those of you that are clubbers should speak your
peace. The race can happen through other means if dealt with now versus
later.

Back to top Go down

Oggie race cancelled? Empty Re: Oggie race cancelled?

Post by Vertder Miff Mon 23 Aug 2010, 11:39 pm

Lame. I hope the race is still able to happen. I'll be a safety boater.
Vertder Miff
Vertder Miff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Aug 2010, 11:41 pm

Based on a phone call, sounds like rapid progression is willing to step up. We'll see...

Back to top Go down

Post by Vertder Miff Mon 23 Aug 2010, 11:43 pm

Sweet. This is Chris Smith, btw.
Vertder Miff
Vertder Miff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Aug 2010, 11:47 pm

There was no doubt...BTW.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Aug 2010, 12:51 am

So glancing at their(the UWC forum) what does Daniel Anderson's back have to do with the race being canceled? http://utahwhitewaterclub.myfreeforum.org/Ogden_Race_about41.html

Pretty sure Daniel has NEVER been a part of this...calling bullshit and hoping someone else steps up. There, apparently, is a poor excuse for everything. Nice. I am not willing to give up the only scheduled release we get for the limits of someone elses limited calling list,

Pretty sure UKS will take the hit if all else fails. The release isn't based on rainbow gardens being boatable. It is for the race and mad press for OGGGIE City.

There has been a lot of work put into getting these releasess. To have them die due to ineptness by one persons hand is ridiculum.

Seriously UWC? Why even take it on if it was not a viable choice.

This , like most whitewater matters, on a local scale, can be handled without your expertise. The club used to have cred that was built up by doing and supporting things that were not self serving. What a waste of coin.

GOOD LUCK!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Aug 2010, 12:59 am

UWC is off the hook. Andy Thunell and Rapid Progression are willing to pick up the slack.

Don't sweat it. Game on!

Back to top Go down

Oggie race cancelled? Empty RPKS

Post by AT Tue 24 Aug 2010, 4:29 pm

Game on everyone, Rapid Progression is backing this event. I've already got a bunch of people from Wyoming saying they'll be here, and sounds like we will have a good turnout for the Utah crew. I don't know what sponsors or prizes have been lined up so far but after Craig spoke with me yesterday i made contact with a few people. Sound like Camp Chef (sick outdoor cooking) will probably bring down a grill to cook food on for participants and will bring some shwagg as well. I also talked to AP from Rendezvous River Sports (the guy who won the race last year) and he will be bringing all of his demo boats down with their crew for people to demo and buy if anyone is in the market for boats. We've got a month, pass the word and let's make this a better turnout than in years past. It'd be a shame to lose this release so come out and support. Nathan Packham has done an awesome job to get this to where it's at. Let's keep the ball rolling.

AT

Back to top Go down

Post by Vertder Miff Tue 24 Aug 2010, 4:36 pm

Sweet! Thanks for making this happen, Andy. As I said earlier, I'm willing to help as a safety boater. Let me know if there's anything else I can do.
Vertder Miff
Vertder Miff

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'n RedBeard Tue 24 Aug 2010, 4:36 pm

AT, make a new thread about the race. Ill take care of making it stick out.
Cap'n RedBeard
Cap'n RedBeard

Paddling Since : 2008

Back to top Go down

Oggie race cancelled? Empty New Thread

Post by AT Tue 24 Aug 2010, 4:49 pm

Done

AT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Aug 2010, 6:28 pm

So it looks like Jeff already submitted a permit for the race to Ogden City. Not sure how that will work for ACA etc. Must have just been a internal issue with doing the actual race. Stinks. Show must go on I guess. There is clearly no lack of support from the community. At this point i am not sure what to do. I think the best solution would be a c sponsorship, with RPKS dealing with the actual race and the club backing with the permits etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Aug 2010, 7:44 pm

As to the earlier flamage, sorry bout that. Probably an over reaction. Just got frustrated by the race cancellation when there is clearly community support, albeit not necessarily club members. I can see the internal frustration. In previous years, we were able to fish only a couple of club members for safety.

Back to top Go down

Oggie race cancelled? Empty Cancelled ?

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Tue 24 Aug 2010, 9:11 pm

Well, this was the first time I heard that it was cancelled. I heard that people did not want to help within the club. I don't know about that. The only thing I know is that Bill, Jeff, and I were going to do everything possible to have this race be as big of a hit as of a month ago. I am not sure what job still needed to be filled. I ask if it was something that someone that was already part of the race effort could help do or assist with, but never received an answer. I think from the start ASK lent their hand as safety boaters. (Thanks guys. Your help will be greatly welcomed especially to swimmers) Now RKPS is stepping up to the plate, another plus. It would have been good if the club would have talked to these to groups before hand. This would have made it a group effort. The whole race would not had been on the club, but shared over the entire Utah boating community. We would have been able to create a great event right here in Utah together, and set all of the drama to the side. Instead the club tried to take it on it's shoulders, could not get enough help, and well.... Had a shoulder injury so to say. But lets pick up the pieces, and make this happen. RPKS thanks for grabbing the torch on this it would be a shame to lose our only real boating release. I am hoping to run in the race. I am sure that I will not win, but boating in the race is the goal for this year.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Paddling Since : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by rippnskier Tue 24 Aug 2010, 9:17 pm

How come every time I read a post from FSM, I immediately get a Southern accent?
rippnskier
rippnskier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Aug 2010, 9:37 pm

Welcome to the conversation monster...Greg, I do the same thing. Weird

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Tue 24 Aug 2010, 9:47 pm

Because I write the same way as I talk Smile
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Paddling Since : 2009

Back to top Go down

Oggie race cancelled? Empty Well now....

Post by Jeff Young Wed 25 Aug 2010, 12:10 am

(insert sound of a door slowly opening)
*peeks head into forum*

Jeez people, you'd think that a call to me would have been more appropriate than flaming me and the club about things you assume are either happening or not. My frustration in not having enough volunteers from within the ranks of the club/board are well known...

Big thanks to Craig and his crew for offering to safety boat, and big thanks to Alan and BFT for the shuttle offer. City permit is in, County permit is in and ACA insurance is being written up by ACA. An email to me from Nathan TODAY mentioned nothing of anyone else jumping on this event in that regard. I am on this forum now, and everyone involved knows/has known how to get ahold of me offline.

Now, ref all this drama you guys are wallowing in over here... you need to stop drawing lines in the sand at the drop of the hat and stop creating drama/strife/envy amongst Utah boaters. The UWC offered to pick this up when no one else would. I'm glad there is support for this event now and everyones help is welcomed. Lets press on.

What we are missing- We need about six more safety people on the shore, and four people working on Timing. Would be great to have two others for general event management to ensure people get where they need to be.

Please email me at UWCelections@yahoo.com to volunteer. To those that have already done so, many thanks.

Jeff
Jeff Young
Jeff Young

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Aug 2010, 12:30 am

Whoops, posted under craig.

Becky says....I'll be there with Craig for the Oggie race, but not racing or safety boating.

So, if you need help collecting entry fees and waivers, handing out racer numbers and t-shirts, etc... Let me know.
(Not interested in manning the timers - but would, if you were desperate).

BTW regarding "drama", not all of us are in your loop and did not know you needed help and could not find volunteers. We only saw potential race cancellation on the club calendar with no explanation.

Triple X Becks Oggie race cancelled? Icon_cat

Back to top Go down

Post by PeruH2o Wed 25 Aug 2010, 12:36 am

I am new to Utah and this sounds pretty cool. Who can participate in the race? Is there a cost to participate? Who usually organizes this? How does the community need to help for this to happen this year? I can also be a safety if needed.

PeruH2o

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young Wed 25 Aug 2010, 12:40 am

Thanks Becky- I'll put you down for manning the entry table.

Peru- Open to anyone, $20 entry fee, need volunteers to help with safety on the shore and some detailed-minded people to work the timing for the race. Email me at the above address for specifics
Jeff Young
Jeff Young

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Aug 2010, 1:09 am

Jeff, I will re-post this on the ASK site and the utah boaters Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=115803308472401&ref=ts . In talking with Andy T, I can guarantee you will have 100 percent of the personell needed for safety. If you need names, give me a couple of days. Thanks for the response and I do apologize for the confusion. Glad this is happening! It will be fucking grand. Also, RPKS has locked down a demo fleet and a good start on prizes for the race. I will hit up my people also.
C

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young Wed 25 Aug 2010, 1:26 am

No problem Craig, shit happens. Send me the names when you have them so I can get things squared away. Good to have RPKS on board too.. thanks guys, looks like this is going to kick ass!
Jeff Young
Jeff Young

Back to top Go down

Oggie race cancelled? Empty Date?

Post by Compton Boater Wed 25 Aug 2010, 2:01 pm

What's the date for the release. Would like to make it.

Compton Boater

Back to top Go down

Post by Compton Boater Wed 25 Aug 2010, 2:07 pm

BTW, Does Utah have a club for black kayakers or do you mainly all paddle together?

Compton Boater

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next