Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Utah Rivers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Big beginner playboat

Go down

Big beginner playboat Empty Big beginner playboat

Looking for a big beginners playboat for a 6'1",57yr old 250lb guy.

Don't even know what to look for anymore. Last time I playboated the Sabre was the hot ticket, we were still side surfing Dancers, Mustangs and Corsica's.

I want to get back into it on rivers like the Weber and at the play parks, surfing mostly, a couple of spins maybe, but pop-ups, splats and pirrouettes will be tried.

Must roll easy, almost by it's self.

The cheaper, the better.
Displaced in the Desert

Paddling Since : 1973

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Big beginner playboat :: Comments

Post Wed 19 Sep 2012, 2:58 pm by Craig.Bilderback

Check out the KSL link above. Best and cheap may not go together, but there are normally several acceptable playboats on there at fair prices.

Sit in some boats, and see what is comfy. I have fun in any playboat that I can fit in. "Best beginner playboat" is really subjective. If you see a boat that you like, a quick google search (or eddyflower if you feel brave) will turn up reviews and opinions.

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 19 Sep 2012, 4:13 pm by Displaced in the Desert

Thanks for the reply.

I watch KSL pretty close, missed a $250 the other day. Not sure what it was of if it would have been big enough.

Most boats have a listed top weight of 220, I go 250 on a light dayand at 6'1 there is not much "comfy" in anything I've ever been in. I don't even know what to look for as boats seem to be getting smaller and smaller.

We have 4 kayaks now and I've done things like Hen/Tag in them, but they are not play boats, more touring/recreational. I will probably try the Necky Dolphin SOT at a park to see how it does, It will probably surf, but is pretty sluggish on the turns.

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 19 Sep 2012, 7:51 pm by Displaced in the Desert

There is a Varun "Large" on there now, even is rated up to 230lbs.

I'm starting to think kayak builders don't know what "big guys" look like.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 20 Sep 2012, 10:05 am by LarryS

The Jackson Superfun and MonStar can support well over 250 lbs. The Superfun is better at running rapids while the Monstar is more of a park and play boat.

I'm 6' 1", size 14 feet, 235 lbs and feel small in my Superfun.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:55 am by Displaced in the Desert

Good information, thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 20 Sep 2012, 2:18 pm by BrayD

The large Jackson play boats are comfortable and big. I'd bet a SuperStar would work for you, the mon Star is even bigger. Both true play boats. The superFun would be perfect as well. I use a 4Fun, for playboat/riverrunning. It's smaller than the superFun, and is plenty big for me. I'm 6'2, but a skinny ass at 170. I love the boat for surfing, flat spinning, and running rivers up to Class IV. Other than that I'm not a playboater... I don't do whoopdeedoos, but if I did I'd probably go with one of those other two. Extremely comfortable.

Cheers

Back to top Go down

Newty

Post Thu 20 Sep 2012, 2:27 pm by Newty

I've got a LL Biscuit 65 I'll sell ya. You're welcome to give it a try and see if you like it. Newty 801 836 2256

Back to top Go down

c-dub

Post Wed 26 Sep 2012, 5:23 am by c-dub

I have both the superfun and the monstar. You are welcome to give either a try as it is now hunting/pool season. Craig 801 518 5068

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 26 Sep 2012, 2:42 pm by Displaced in the Desert

Thanks for the offer C-dub.

I'll keep it in mind as the weather progresses into pool season and give you call.

Both of those boats sound like they would work for me. The Superfun sounds more like the hull I'm looking for, not a play only boat but a good surfer and down river boat for the local rivers we have.

Back to top Go down

echymas

Post Thu 27 Sep 2012, 5:47 pm by echymas

This one is still up for sale: http://www.utrivers.com/t1138-wave-sport-project-62-40000?highlight=project+62

Price is nogotiable. You can demo it at kayak polo in Ogden if you would like.

Come paddle this winter! An excuse to get in your boat!
Ogden Kayak Polo 2012-2013
Starts Wednesday Oct 24. from 6:30-8:30 PM
@ The Marshall White Center
222 28th Street Ogden, UT 84401
We will meet up every Wednesday till the spring run off.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 27 Sep 2012, 7:24 pm by Displaced in the Desert

I would love to, but I have our Boy Scout Meeting that night. The boys depend on me to be there for them, so it goes.

Busy people.

Back to top Go down

echymas

Post Fri 28 Sep 2012, 11:35 am by echymas

Any other time or place is fine as well. PM if youre interested.

Back to top Go down

RobA

Post Fri 28 Sep 2012, 1:48 pm by RobA

Scout night is awesome!

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down