Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Utah Rivers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Where should I take my handicapped friend in my ducky?

+3
Jeff Young
Cap'n RedBeard
chucklkennedy
7 posters

Go down

Where should I take my handicapped friend in my ducky? Empty Where should I take my handicapped friend in my ducky?

Post by chucklkennedy Thu 16 Aug 2012, 1:09 am

Hi

A good/adventurous friend is interested in whitewater and is trying to get me to take him paddling. However, he doesn't have the use of his legs and I worry about rocks and strainers and things like that. Any suggestions on a run that's interesting enough to keep him happy but tame enough to keep him safe? I'm an experienced paddler, and I feel I can keep him in the boat even in whitewater, but you never know what can happen. He lives in the Logan area and I live in Draper.

I did some internet surfing on the subject and it sounds like a lake would be the wiser choice. However, he's an adventurous guy and has expressed a lack of interest in anything that's too boring. Any suggestions on where I can take him in the Ogdon or Logan area that might satisfy his thirst for adventure and also satisfy my desire to keep him safe?

Thanks in advance : )

Chuck

chucklkennedy

Paddling Since : 1997

Back to top Go down

Where should I take my handicapped friend in my ducky? Empty Re: Where should I take my handicapped friend in my ducky?

Post by Cap'n RedBeard Thu 16 Aug 2012, 12:27 pm

If a blind person can kayak the Grand Canyon then the possibilities are endless.
Cap'n RedBeard
Cap'n RedBeard

Paddling Since : 2008

Back to top Go down

Where should I take my handicapped friend in my ducky? Empty Re: Where should I take my handicapped friend in my ducky?

Post by Jeff Young Thu 16 Aug 2012, 12:57 pm

check out a Bellyak, no leg use needed and sounds like it would really help him get after it.

http://bellyak.com/

My shop, GEAR:30, has a demo Bellyak FYI.

As for where to take him, I'd suggest Crystal Wave (behind walmart at Wall and 20th street in Ogden). Its super tame and would give him a good taste of whitewater without many of the issues a noob would be concerned with. I'd be happy to meet you there with the Bellyak for him to try.
Jeff Young
Jeff Young

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Thu 16 Aug 2012, 8:07 pm

Give me at call. I have a buddy that a friends with a guy that is paralyzed from the waist down. He is able to kayak class V. It is far from the norm, but it prove that it is possible. Also a guy named slim ray from the south east was paralyzed on a stout rapid called sunshine. He is now a rec kayaker so the option for kayaking is not off the table. My number is 801-678-9130
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Paddling Since : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill Fri 17 Aug 2012, 12:23 am

Causey Reservoir for lake paddling; no motorboats, super-scenic cliffed drainages.
Then Vivian Park below Deer Creek res: super-scenic class II-, with views of Mt Timpanogos. Its still running at 522.
Then Hen-Tag.
Cheers
Bill

wasatchbill

Back to top Go down

Post by chucklkennedy Fri 17 Aug 2012, 1:07 am

Thanks for the tips/ideas and encouragement guys. I'll chat with him and see what he's comfortable with : )

chucklkennedy

Paddling Since : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Fri 17 Aug 2012, 9:15 pm

If it's his first time paddling, I would still do a lake. And then go from there. If he is in logan, that's perfect, there's 3 nice small dams in logan canyon. They're all low right now, so fortunately, they're fairly shallow now, with picnic areas around and stuff... beautiful too!!

Also, just north of logan about an hour is the Onida Narrows. A very popular place for the logan/preston area. It is really secluded, in some beautiful mountains, and BEST of all... has BOTH a lake and a mellow river... and to top that off... it ALSO has... some hot springs you can relax at (and they allow you to bring in your own alcohol!).

Then below the dam, the river is one of the most mellow rivers I know of. That's why it is so popular... people come from all over to float it in tubes. There are some small rapids... and you can hitch hike the shuttle very easily - with all the tubers, and do multiple runs in a day. The whole river is scoutable, and you can pull out at almost any point, or choose the longer version, and float out of the canyon and into the farm land to the highway for a good 3-4 hour float with some better rapids.

This time of year, it is probably only about 2-3 feet deep, and not a fast current either, but fun enough to keep most beginners entertained for their first few times boating.

If you're interested, google "onida narrows, franklin, idaho" and click maps... to get an idea of where it is.

To get there, drive north of logan (highway 91) till you hit preston, go through preston (about a mile or so), and stay right, the road will fork (highway 36/34), it will go over a hill and take the next right on highway 36, then a few miles in look for a small road on your left with a small "Onida Narrows" sign... that's it. If you miss that road, and cross the river (while on highway 36) you've gone too far... Just follow the river up the canyon, and you'll find it all from there. The lake is up about 20 minutes, but you'll be next to the river the whole time.

The hot springs (about $8/person) are at the very back of the canyon - and right next to the lake.

Also there's free camping next to the river - below the dam, or paid camping - at the lake above (about $10-15)

Oh, one thing... if you're drinking, the cops have been known to watch whos drinking on the river, and then wait to see who drives at the bottom, so... STAY LEGIT.

Anyway, I hope that helps. Good luck and props for what you're doin.

CHEERS Smile

Dave

Paddling Since : 09

Back to top Go down

Where should I take my handicapped friend in my ducky? Empty Provo Below Deer Creek?

Post by Ewetah Sat 18 Aug 2012, 12:44 pm

If you can bring your friend down here I have a 13 foot raft and would be more than happy to take both of you down the Provo below Deer Creek. It is class I and II water and he should be more secure in a raft rather than a kayak.

Mike

Ewetah

Paddling Since : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down