Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Utah Rivers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Ogden Narrows Friday?

+3
Dave
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Timmay
7 posters

Go down

Ogden Narrows Friday? Empty Ogden Narrows Friday?

Post by Timmay Thu 10 May 2012, 11:53 pm

Anyone up for doing a couple of laps on the Narrows tomorrow in the afternoon. I am hoping to meet up with some people sometime between 3 and 4pm.

Tim

Timmay

Back to top Go down

Ogden Narrows Friday? Empty Re: Ogden Narrows Friday?

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Fri 11 May 2012, 12:14 am

I may still be there if the flows hold.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Paddling Since : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Fri 11 May 2012, 12:58 am

Is it any easier now, compared to at 600? (I only have my playboat with me). I'll be passing through about 530-6. Will check if anyone's still there.

Dave

Paddling Since : 09

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Fri 11 May 2012, 9:17 am

Less pushy, but more rocks to avoid. I am sure you take a play boat. It was at a fun flow yesterday. There is a boof after poison Ivy that will knock your socks off. It will launch you everytime if you hit it right.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Wil Fri 11 May 2012, 9:42 am

Dave,

I think Craig plans on being there around 5, and I will probably join him too if the water holds, as this was my goal for the season. I might have to take my river runner, as I can't find the skirt that fits my creeker. Do you still have your 5383 cell number?

Wil

Wil

Paddling Since : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by Timmay Fri 11 May 2012, 11:52 am

The river is still at 273. I should be able to be there by 3pm. If you want to join me, give me a call or text at six one six-three 08- six 849.

Tim

Timmay

Back to top Go down

Post by Wil Fri 11 May 2012, 12:04 pm

Tim, I could be there at 4, but it will be my first time down the Narrows, so don't want to put someone I never boated with in possible harms way. I did the Murtaugh last month at 9k and didn't have any problems, but my background is more bigger water, not rocky/creeky like what the Narrows probably is now.

Wil

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Fri 11 May 2012, 1:00 pm

I will most likely still be there at 3. If you don't have float bags either don't come, buy some on the way, or expect to lose a boat. I am tired of fighting boats to eddies if they are full of water. Not being rude, but float bags are a safety issue.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Wil Fri 11 May 2012, 1:05 pm

FSM, if you're talking to me, I definitely have them in my boat. I've had to do the same as you describe in the past, and it really freaking sucks. I hope to get the chance to boat with you today, as I have heard many stories about you.

Wil

Back to top Go down

Post by Timmay Fri 11 May 2012, 1:06 pm

I completely agree. I always have float bags in my boat. I will see you there about 3 and will hopefully get a lap in with you.

Tim

Timmay

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Fri 11 May 2012, 2:25 pm

Wil, yeah, same number, just haven't had phone service for last two months. Anyway, I'm still not completely sure... have only boated once in last 6 months. Think I might need a few more warm-up runs before I hit the narrows... Especially without my creeker. Anyway, Wil, I was thinking of doing Logan Sat, if you wanna join... it's flowing pretty good.

Dave

Paddling Since : 09

Back to top Go down

Post by Craig.Bilderback Fri 11 May 2012, 3:03 pm

I should be up there around 4:15-4:30. I'll be hanging out at the takeout.

Craig.Bilderback

Paddling Since : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young Fri 11 May 2012, 11:29 pm

Fun time today with a classy crew.
Jeff Young
Jeff Young

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Fri 11 May 2012, 11:41 pm

It was a fun day. 5 laps for my self. Lead multiple crews down. Had a few swimmers, but all were fine.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Wil Sat 12 May 2012, 12:05 am

Daniel, thanks for the lead down on my first lap. Did another lap after you left, and it wasn't definitely as smooth, but lucky for me I didn't have any Timmays. Good boating with you all, hopefully she will get a little fluffier in the next week or two.

Wil

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Sat 12 May 2012, 12:49 pm

Yeah man it was good to meet you. I love the narrows from 250 cfs, and up. I know the run very well, and constantly play with different lines. I will gladly take anyone ready for the first run down.
It is a great run, with fun lines. I will say that it seems like swims at most flows suck. I don't believe you could die in the narrows, but getting bruised up is not fun. Just yesterday we had four swimmers, and one guy hurt his thumb very bad. My quick swim in a calm section to clip a pinned boat resulted in bruised shins, and knees.
Anyone that wants to run it for the first time needs to realize it is pretty continuous, and if you are not used to that it can be pretty full on. Most just get overwhelmed, flip, and swim. If you run it please have float bags, and have them secured, and inflated. I will be out of town for two weeks, but when I return if it is still running hit me up if you want to run it.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Compton Boater Mon 14 May 2012, 3:55 pm

You can die on any run, you probably don't want to tell the river if it can or can't kill someone, it usually decides itself and you don't want to be the guy on its mind. Frankly the swims above 1200 last year were pretty death defying. Craig and Christian ran it more above 1,000 than anyone last year and the swim stories from them are hard core. Hopefully it comes back up!

Compton Boater

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Mon 14 May 2012, 11:19 pm

Yeah that is true. Someone could die on a Class I section. I should not say that you could not die a certain run. I will say that when the river reaches 1,000, and above flush downing, and other things become a real issue. At 275 to 350 it is a pretty tame beast with hazards, but not the hazards seen at higher water. You can die on any river at anytime.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Compton Boater Wed 16 May 2012, 12:33 pm

I agree 100%, tame beast at 300, angry lion above 1,000. And she is back at Tame beast level of 275 today, see you up there, may b the last of her.

Compton Boater

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster Thu 17 May 2012, 1:25 am

I am in the South East for three weeks. I guess I will miss out on my backyard run. So far we have hit some classics out here though. Section IV of the Chattooga, Watauga, and the plan is Gauley, Russel Fork, Cheoah, and finish with the Green Narrows. So far we have had a pretty fun trip. Enjoy the narrows while she is there. I love the narrows, and hate when she is being a bitch, and hurting people. Respect the river you never know what she can do. Be safe out there.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young Thu 17 May 2012, 11:16 am

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/Accident/detail/accidentid/504/

Even at 600ish, people have died on the Narrows.
Jeff Young
Jeff Young

Back to top Go down

Post by Compton Boater Thu 17 May 2012, 2:13 pm

Thanks for that report. What a bummer, just 29. It could definitely happen to anybody. SUP is good for practicing aggressive swimming. He may have hit his head thus the dazed look but who knows.

Compton Boater

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young Thu 17 May 2012, 2:57 pm

Speaking of the dazed look, Drew had a nasty swim at the Narrows Race two years ago, lost his crappy helmet on the first rock hit and then took a few hits sans helmet. He's one lucky fella to have come out as good as he did.
Jeff Young
Jeff Young

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down