Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Utah Rivers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Want a play feature on the Jordan River?

4 posters

Go down

Want a play feature on the Jordan River?   Empty Want a play feature on the Jordan River?

Post by Jeff Young Sun 09 Sep 2012, 8:15 pm

Here is your chance to be very vocal about what you want for the Jordan River corridor. This is an open meeting, and a great opportunity to show some community support for this idea. A play wave, or a rework of Howard Hole would be excellent. This meeting will address vegitation plans, but bring up what you want.

You're Invited!

Public Meeting About the 900 South Oxbow Restoration Project

Want a play feature on the Jordan River?   GetInline.aspx?messageid=e6d7d9de-fa2a-11e1-932b-00237de49966&attindex=1&cp=-1&attdepth=1&imgsrc=cid%3aimage001.jpg%4001CD8DFD.C7339060&cid=59d13afcd154018f&blob=MXxpbWFnZTAwMS5qcGd8aW1hZ2UvanBlZw_3d_3d&hm__login=ducatismurf&hm__domain=hotmail.com&ip=10.13.118

stream bank vegetation, proposed 900 South Oxbow restoration site

When: Thursday September 13, 6:00 to 7:30 pm

Where: Parks & Public Lands Building located at 1965 West 500 South

What: Public "Vision" Meeting: 900 South Oxbow Restoration Project

Why: Salt Lake City Parks department proposes to restore a 5-acre site on the Jordan River at 900 South with native plants. But Glendale City Council members want housing or commercial development on the property instead. There will be just one opportunity to show support and to comment on this plan before it is written. If you care about natural area preservation and restoration on the Jordan River, please be there to show support.

What you can do now.

There is always something that you can do now.

Actually doing something meaningful is so much more rewarding than doing nothing at all while the world around us goes to hell.

None of us has time to do everything, to care about everything. We have to be selective. But if you care about the natural world and your own quality of life, especially if you live in a west side neighborhood or use the Jordan River or Jordan River Parkway, here are some ideas about things that you can do now, arranged in what I personally consider to be priority order:

1.) Sign a petition showing your support for the proposed native plant restoration project at the 900 South Oxbow.

I'm attaching a petition form that I'll have with me on Sunday morning (Sept 9) at the Bend in the River annual cleanup event and the following morning at the People's Market in Jordan Park. You can print and sign the petition and pass it around to all of your like-minded friends to sign, encouraging them to provide an email address. If you have a scanner you can scan the signed petition form(s) and email them back to me, or send by regular mail to 1115 Mead Avenue, Salt Lake City, 84104. (It's preferable to have the original of the signed form if possible.)

2.) Attend a public "Vision" meeting at the City Parks and Public Lands building (1965 W 500 S) Thursday Sept. 13, 6:00 to 6:30

It is quite possible that the Glendale city council members and their corporate friends will be out in force to tell City Parks what a bad idea it is to restore native plants instead of building tract housing, condominiums, an office building or a shopping center on this 5 acre stream bank site. Politicians always support activities that will generate tax revenue--especially retail sales tax in this case-- for them to spend. Those who value natural open space must speak out or our voices will never be heard.

The City Parks Department deserves our support when it works to protect and restore our natural environment. Positive reinforcement builds trust and good will. This is a great opportunity to support city parks director Emy Maloutas in doing a very good thing. You can also encourage City Parks to provide adequate resources, long term, to make this project a success and an example to all other cities up and down the river.

Points to make in the meeting:

· You support native plant and ecosystem restoration on ALL remaining blocks of open space on the Jordan River throughout its 55 mile length

· The bike path being established along the former 900 South rail line should not cross the Oxbow property, but rather should skirt around it on existing pathways through the 9th South River Park.

· The fill material of the railroad causeway across the site is highly toxic and should be completely removed as soon as funding allows, and this objective should be clearly stated in the restoration plan, as a future phase of the project if necessary

· Existing, non-native trees should be removed in a staged way rather than all at once, to maintain shading and cooling of river water, and cover and forage for insects and birds, during the transition from native to non-native trees.

· The city's site restoration plan should include a highly specific description and annual schedule for all necessary future maintenance activities including any weeding or planting work that will require volunteer labor. It should include a budget for future city expenses to maintain the site and recommendations as to where resources of labor and funding can be found.

3.) Send a message to Mayor Ralph Becker (and his staff)

Make the points indicated above, and any others that come to mind, in an email directly to Mayor Becker, with copies to Parks and Public Lands Director Emy Maloutas and Open Space Program Manager Leslie Chan at:

ralph.becker@slcgov.com

Emy.Maloutas@slcgov.com

leslie.chan@slcgov.com
Jeff Young
Jeff Young

Back to top Go down

Want a play feature on the Jordan River?   Empty Re: Want a play feature on the Jordan River?

Post by bencpeters Mon 10 Sep 2012, 11:33 am

Bummer it's the same night as the UAC fundraiser dinner ( http://utahavalanchecenter.org/19th-annual-black-diamond-fall-fundraiser-party ). Are there other actions other than an email that people who are very interested in this but are going to the UAC dinner can do?

bencpeters

Paddling Since : 2005

Back to top Go down

Want a play feature on the Jordan River?   Empty Re: Want a play feature on the Jordan River?

Post by telebri1 Mon 10 Sep 2012, 7:43 pm

I would love to attend and voice my opinions but I already have plans to attend the avy fundraiser. Are there any other mediums or methods to let my voice be heard? I did see the email addresses above.

telebri1

Back to top Go down

Post by Displaced in the Desert Tue 18 Sep 2012, 11:50 pm

I couldn't make the meeting, I wrote the mayor though.

Anybody know what happened at the meeting?

I would really be interested in some play features on the Jordan. Is there enough elevation for one in this area? How much drop would be needed for a play hole?

Would the lowhead down by 45 south be a better place for a playspot? Or the dam at 21st south? They both have a few feet of elevation already in place.

I ask because this is the kind of thing I would like to see in our city.

Displaced in the Desert

Paddling Since : 1973

Back to top Go down

Post by Displaced in the Desert Thu 20 Sep 2012, 6:54 pm

I drove down to Winchester Park today to look at that little drop on the Jordan. Man give me 4 hours in a Cat 320 with a thumb and it would be on.

Right now the flow is all river right and up against the trees with a lot of water flowing all over and not in the main channel.

Who would we start talking to to get this reconfigured into a play hole? It has potential. Enough flow year round, enough drop to have the velocity and a park with plenty of parking already in place.

Displaced in the Desert

Back to top Go down

Post by bencpeters Mon 24 Sep 2012, 4:31 pm

I would LOVE this. Anyone know how we could get some momentum on this?

bencpeters

Paddling Since : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Displaced in the Desert Tue 25 Sep 2012, 9:46 am

We would probably start with the Jordon River Parkway Commission and Murray City Parks and Recreation.

I do not know what the master plan for the river is or if it states that paddeling development is part of it. If it is then we would have to propose our idea, get some hydro engineering done on the site, do a cost study and then propose it hoping that no one objects.

Displaced in the Desert

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young Tue 25 Sep 2012, 10:02 pm

Scott from the Jordan River Corridor planning whatever shot me down last year and year before saying any play feature wasn't in their 'Five Year Plan'.... and that request was simply to deam Howards Hole (you know about Howards Hole right?) a recreation feature and make it legal to park right next to it in that field. That request was not putting a single dime into improving the feature.... don't even get me started about how they built a sports park in the historical flood plain.
Jeff Young
Jeff Young

Back to top Go down

Post by Displaced in the Desert Tue 25 Sep 2012, 11:01 pm

I do not know about Howards Hole, do tell.

I always like a good story.

In my experiance the way to get things done in government is to keep on keeping on. I learned the hard way what can happen when I was up at the capital fighting for the waterways access bill. But I'm better at that sort of thing now. I know more of the players and more of the players know me.

SUre it could take a few years but you stay in front of the commissions and you get into the next 5 year plan and after putting in your time and effort it often gets rewarded.

Displaced in the Desert

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young Tue 25 Sep 2012, 11:04 pm

Jeff Young
Jeff Young

Back to top Go down

Post by Displaced in the Desert Tue 25 Sep 2012, 11:20 pm

I was looking at that spot last night on Google maps. It looks like a nice spot to play around. I'll take a drive down tomorrow to have closer look and maybe take a boat down on Friday to have a paddle.

I can appreciate that there is a play spot on the Jordan now, but why stop at just one?

Displaced in the Desert

Back to top Go down

Post by Displaced in the Desert Sun 30 Sep 2012, 11:19 am

I checked it out, and some youtube vids.

Cool playspot, not much at these levels, but it's good there is a place to play.

Could a spot like that one be made at the horseshoe?

Displaced in the Desert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum